Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Flat Battery

garygiles1963

Hi

This morning I manage to flatten the battery on 120. Left a cheap cooler running for about 2hrs, constant fan running. I used my STREETWIZE EMERGENCY JUMP STARTER & PORTABLE POWER BANK. http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/streetwize-emergency-jump-starter-portable-power-bank.html to jump start the car . Worked 1st time. To be honest I hope the battery would die, I wanted to test the jump started before finding out it's no good in the middle of no where.

So, should the batteries have lasted longer, if so, should I be thinking about replacing them. It's a 2005. I have no idea the age of them, I'm concerned they maybe getting old. I'm off on a long trip soon, I don't want battery issues on top of a Pyrenees mountain. If you do think I should replace them, what would you guys recommend? I have heard Optima are very good, but there pricey.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Regards
Gary

Take the guesswork out of estimating battery condition and get it/them drop tested. Any decent battery shop/garage should be able to do this for you. If they're 12 years old that's very good going but they'll almost certainly be well down on capacity. Mine lasted at least 9 years (on the truck when I got it) but being deeply discharged a couple of times didn't do them any favours. As for recommendation on replacements, it's a bit like engine oil. Ask 5 different people and get 5 different answers. I'd go with Varta every time. Don't care how good Optima's are claimed to be, IMO they can't be that much better than the Varta's I've had experience with to warrant the price difference. JMO

I'm with TP on everything said, the Vartas being his opinion, can't really be faulted, but they are a bit on the pricey side.

In the 11 years of ownership, the Romanian cheapo "Rombat" batteries fitted to the truck when I bought it, lasted another 7 years (they failed at 10 years) so no issues at all.

I replaced them with Vartas and they lasted only 3 years on a DD which was disappointing.

One had swollen so there was defo something up. I replaced them with Varta and after one week they stopped charging. The alternator and wiring checked out OK, so I got a full refund.

Don't let this put you off them, but it just goes to show, whatever you get, nothing is foolproof.

I'm running "Power Bull" now, whoever they are, made in the Czec republic 2/3 the price of Varta and with a 2 year guarantee.

Glad the emergency pack got you going, there's very mixed reports about them in general, more about the crappy way they're assembled, not so much performance.

My Dad had a Numax premium battery fitted to his diesel Beemer less then 2 years ago and h'e just had it changed again last week due to it loosing charge causing all sorts of problems with the on board computer and when the computer controls everything, man have you got problems! A drop test showed it was down to 60% capacity right after being fully charged with a mains charger. Changed it for a Varta with a 2 year warranty.

HI

Thanks gentleman.

I think I'll go for the Varta's :)

Which models should I be getting for my 120?

Regards

G.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm with TP on everything said, the Vartas being his opinion, can't really be faulted, but they are a bit on the pricey side.

In the 11 years of ownership, the Romanian cheapo "Rombat" batteries fitted to the truck when I bought it, lasted another 7 years (they failed at 10 years) so no issues at all.

I replaced them with Vartas and they lasted only 3 years on a DD which was disappointing.

One had swollen so there was defo something up. I replaced them with Varta and after one week they stopped charging. The alternator and wiring checked out OK, so I got a full refund.

Don't let this put you off them, but it just goes to show, whatever you get, nothing is foolproof.

I'm running "Power Bull" now, whoever they are, made in the Czec republic 2/3 the price of Varta and with a 2 year guarantee.

Glad the emergency pack got you going, there's very mixed reports about them in general, more about the crappy way they're assembled, not so much performance.

You were obviously very unlucky with the Varta's there Clive IMO but just goes to show you can have a bad experience with any brand.

I would have recommended Varta, but I don't know what to say now. Once, er twice bitten...

Hey ho, such is life.:icon-wink:

I replaced the batteries on my 120 about 8 months ago. They were Toyota original which lasted 11 years, so can't complain.

Simon Holton our friendly Toyota parts guy got me a great deal on new Toyota ones, so went with those. Otherwise I would have got Varta batteries

We use premium varta or bosch batteries at work on our hgv's they are often away overnight with the driver sleeping in cab draining power while parked up.
Additionally one truck has a large electric winch so gives the batteries a good loading regularly and we have had no notable problems.
Todays modern vehicles rely on a good strong voltage to work and flat battieries and jump starts are a bit of a risky pastime due to how sensitive the electrics are.
I believe there are two types of varta we use the silver premium sealed ones I cant remember what the range is called.
Lastly make sure you maintain all terminals and earth points as poor connections can waste alot of power.

Thanks guys.

Are both the batteries the same? Just need to know which are the best Varta models to get for the 120?

G.

Thanks guys.

Are both the batteries the same? Just need to know which are the best Varta models to get for the 120?

G.

I changed my 2005 120 batteries 2 years ago. I struggled to find any the right size. Got replacements from local Toyota dealer for about 70 quid each. AFAIK the only difference is the terminal polarity is reversed on one of them, you can't just turn one battery around, the leads don't reach.

Back