Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fly, buy & drive

Mojo

Country Flag
hong_kong
Having had positive feedback and support from the forum I thought I would share my recent experience of the new '80 chapter' of my life.
After many months of nosing around on the internet and making phone calls to potential sellers I eventually found a car in London. I booked a single flight ticket from Iberia and landed at Gatwick where chaos ruled since Clapham Junction had decided to shut down for the day. As I rushed to view and test drive the car, i hoped the seller would understand my tardiness. The following morning, after a night of reflection I was the proud owner of my first ever 80.
I didn't have much time to hang around in the UK, so the first thing was an MOT appointment. I wasn't too worried, even when a BMW (2013) owner before me was told that her car had failed. I looked outside to the 80 and winked.
After an hour of brake testing in the car park (?) and meticulous inspection, i was told that my side lights looked blue. I say they looked bright white..and the 80 passed.
I filled up with diesel, checked oil, checked water, bought a road map of France, headed to Dover and was loaded onto a P&O ferry directly behind a 100 Series. I think we were the only 2 cars on that deck....
Down through France, across the Pyrenees (overtaking pilgrims walking the Way), across to Salamanca and into Lisbon, I used small national roads as much as possible. The 80 isn't a performance car and was quite happy at 100km/hr. At least that way I could overtake village bumpkins rather than being overtaken by car towing caravans on the motorway. Besides the 80 is happier hammering along pot hole ridden roads...
3.5 days later, 1500 miles, 53 gallons/245 litres...approx 28mpg....I arrived in Lisbon.
The only problem was.....there was no problem. Nada.
I am now going to spend the next few weeks going over the 80 and see what needs doing.....

I'll post pics soon!

No surprises there then. [emoji4] welcome to the wonderful world of 80 ownership. Looking forward to seeing the photos. In guessing it's a manual or you have a much lighter foot than I do. [emoji6]

You've just bought probably the best car in the world, great post BTW,:thumbup: looking forward to more like that from you that tell a story rather than just relate events.

Congratulations Mojo. Sounds like you picked up a real gem.
Great decision and it'll bring you years of enjoyment no doubt.

Excellent! Trouble-free motoring and the ability to do the same without asphalt, sums up the 80 to a T. :clap:

Thanks for posting, and I'm looking forward to your many adventures, man & machine! (And photos of course, don't forget the photos....). :lol:

That's a great tale and looks you've found yourself a little gem :thumbup: - look forward to seeing how your 80 progresses and we all want to see pictures ASAP, please!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done. Did it have an MOT when you bought it and then you had it tested just to see if there were any problems?

I can get 30 mpg at a constant 65 mph but mine usually does 29 mpg to Spain and back on a 3,000 mile journey.

Great post! I did the same to get my 90 over 2 years ago -Left at 0600 flew from Bordeaux - Luton - pick up car off to a funeral in London, round the M25 to the tunnel and home to the Dordogne - arrived at 0300 hrs next morning! Not a missed beat all the way ;)

Congrats. The only thing you did wrong was overtake the pilgrims in the Pyrenees. Should just driven over the sods. After one tried to take the metal point of his staff to my 120 I'm not enamoured of them :)

The MOT was about to expire...so I went online and booked it in with Kwik-fit..for 30 notes.
The clock reads 148,000 miles.
And yes its the manual version.

Great adventure and purchase
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

80's can go wrong due to neglect. The prop shafts should be greased every 4500 miles and the front dif oil changed every 36,000 miles otherwise grease from the hubs can contaminate the oil and wreck the dif. The gearboxes are stiff from cold and some people have stripped there's to cure this in the mistaken belief there was a problem.

Otherwise I can't think of any other peculiarities.

Hi Mojo. great tale, bigger journey than me, I flew from Ibiza to only Alicante where the PO had kindly already gotten my future car as far as Denia from the UK. Dave2000 knew him and actually worked on the car too.

it was at 190k miles back then, I am at 215k now and couldn't wish for a better island car (rough tracks, all kinds of donkey work, and intense summer heat) Apart from a new battery and ignition switch immediately on arrival home it's been utterly faultless, that instant starting they do never ceases to amaze me.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Back