Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fog lamp question for the m.o.t experts on here .

Shayne

Guru
Before ordering a brake light to use as a fog i decided to read up on regulations and to be fair it seems they are quite laid back asking for only a common sense approach .

As always the lamp i'm interested in will i think come under scrutiny first for being a smoked lens and secondly for being small . I can find no objection to either of those things in the rules .

Doubt comes in because i have read somewhere (IVA or VOSA?) that fog lamps must be E marked with a B or F included . Yet this is not mentioned on here http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_130.htm

So what do you think fellas worth a punt or not ?

I think you'll be fine, once the light can be seen through the smoked lens well. I don't think they check markings, at least no one has with me.

Anyway what exactly are you trying to do, I'm a little confused.

I have never had a rear fog light and yesterday's mot tester finally noticed . My truck lights up at the back like a christmas tree anyway so discreet fit and forget is the plan and i found a motorbike brake light that can sit dead centre on the thin strip of bumper above my rather large and bulky tow hitch riser .

It's just a red light at the back operated by an unmarked switch so I don't see how they can even look at it for MOT. Call in to a tester and ask.

My collie has a factory fog switch Frank . I think possibly the original lamp was in the upper tail lights which are duds in uk spec . I replaced the upper lights with working ones so now i have two lots of tail lights .... and no fog .

Any problems and it sounds like you need to find a better mot tester

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As long as it's red, fitted either centre or to the right side, has a switch and a tell tale it's passed.

Think i was just unlucky enough to visit on a quiet day and he was bored to be honest Mart , i mean an hour and a half while i stood watching , most of which was spent under the truck . I felt he was determined to find fault but couldn't .
Pay back maybe because last year i took both trucks home from the same place and they know i fixed them myself .

If you look at the measurements here i'm sure you will see why i expect suspicion http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=255-200-1

Can you not lose a reverse light, re wire it and fit a red bulb? No extra lamps to fit.
I've done that in the past.

It crossed my mind Gary and thanks for the suggestion but i wouldn't if i could because its nice having 2 reverse lights when your windows are tinted as dark as mine . Couldn't anyway i don't think because the upper lights are smoked lens led units like these 27396428.jpg

I don't mind paying the 20 odd quid and taking a chance on the bike light i just don't want to have to do the job twice . Give it a go seems to be the unanimous verdict so i will order it tomorrow .

Edit :- ha just noticed the lights in the random pic i chose have bulbs for indicator and reverse , i thought mine were all led but maybe not ?

Last edited:
I'd have no issue on mot if the lamp in the link was the fog.

Know what you mean on tinted glass, got 4 reverse lights and still can't see bugger all.

When I wired my rear aftermarket top lights in, I kept the fog and used the other side as the dedicated indicator. It did cross my mind to use them both but I never fancied adding an additional fog.

Those are nice lights by the way, I'd be interested in hearing your views on build quality. That's always kinda put me off those. Mine are from Taiwan and are starting to pit on the inside, I also had to add a seal and it still only fits 90% good. Got them for 20 pounds long ago so no biggy, and 8 years later they still look good so I cant complain, but I do fancy myself some LED's...

Regarding the reverse and indicator bulbs, get yourself some nice CREE LED's, they'll look great through the clear lens and are very bright!

I fitted a triangular shaped fog light, next to the tow hitch plate and wired it into the plug for the towing electrics - works fine :) cheap as chips too - note it was advertised as an F1 rear light 'style' so you could wire it so it flashed like wot the F1 cars do in the rain........

I fitted a triangular shaped fog light, next to the tow hitch plate and wired it into the plug for the towing electrics - works fine :) cheap as chips too - note it was advertised as an F1 rear light 'style' so you could wire it so it flashed like wot the F1 cars do in the rain........

Good suggestion, we should rename you "Foggy Steve" :lol:

He sold his last 3 lights yesterday :think: is anyone going to own up :lol: i will get mine Monday anyway .

No complaints from me about the lights Beau , the plastic was coated with some kind of sealer which has changed colour and flaked but that's neither here nor there good or bad , scratching it off with a thumb nail gives me something to do while the daughters searching for a bullet proof bra or some such . The sealer is not on the glass . Fit couldn't be much better i don't think , here's some close ups for you

187 PICS 186.JPG
187 PICS 187.JPG

I see what you mean with the coating...

They don't look too smoked from the picture, just right I think. Heres' a pic of how mine fitted.
DSC04524.jpg

Yours suit your truck mate , for me black on black stealth is the aim and anything that might be called bling is just an accidental side effect .

image.jpg
Could find nothing at my tow socket that might relate to fogs so went to have a look at Helen's truck and her fog doesn't work either , the bulb and fuse are good so I pulled the switch which all looks good .

Only thing I can think of is the bulb that lights up the switch also acts as a fuse , does this sound likely ?

IMG_0784.JPG

The bulb is so small I can't tell if it's blown and I would guess a replacement will have to come from Toyota ?

I haven't heard of that tbh . Have you looked at a schematic for the type of plug you have, it should give the number & colour of the wire to pick up from.

Back