Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fog lights on with lights

paulnanrod

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi I’ve just noticed on the 120 I picked up a couple of weeks ago the rear fog lights come on with the headlights. The switch makes no difference - has anyone come across this, and if so is it an easy diy-able fix?

thanks...

Hi Paul, no offence intended, but are you using the correct switch?
On the 120 there are two, one for front fog lights, and one for rear fog lights.
The fronts are on the l/h stalk, the rears are by the drivers knee.
Cheers mate.

Ha no offence taken - the switch down by the mirror adjustment/wing mirror heater. The switch doesn’t light up like the heated mirrors (not sure If it should), but the fog light light comes on the dash, although they’re always on with the lights

Yep, you've got the right switch. There is no indicator light (illumination) on the switch, the power indicator light is the one you've found in the cluster, so that sounds right.
If the rear fogs are on whenever your lights are on, and the switch does not turn off, as you think, that is wrong. It sounds like the rear fogs are powered direct from the lighting circuit.
If you have a towbar, look to the wiring in the back 12n socket. Faulty or poorly executed towbar wiring is a
common issue with lighting/wiring problems. Rear fog light wire colour in the 12n socket should be blue, and IIRC the Toyota loom colour is a light blue or grey for the rear fog lights.
I would check in that socket first, in case someone has wired the fog light wires into the lighting circuit,as that would power them up with a direct feed when lights are on. Of course it could be the switch, so in the absence of obvious wiring faults, you may have to do testing. Good luck.

If you have a towbar and you want to rule out that wiring (I agree with Tractionman that thats the number one suspect!!!), you can unplug the towbar loom from the foglights and reconnect them directly to see if they work.

brilliant thank you....doesn’t help being colour blind with wiring but I’ll give it a go - there is a tow bar and I’m getting the 7 pin plug swapped for a 13 pin soon so failing me fixing it I’ll make sure the tow bar guy (who hopefully will be better with colours) can sort it

thanks again for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back