Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Foglight wiring question.

wobbly

Garage
By my left knee is a front foglight switch.

I'm struggling to identify the wiring at the front end which this operates though.

The truck has previously had spotlights, I have the relay and wiring still in place, but that connects the fogs to driving lights, which is bad.

There is also two reds a black and a green, all ending behind the bumper, clearly been attached to something (oddly, the two reds join together in one end of the connector - I assume this is cos one is a live feed and the other is a take off from it). These look like original wiring. Did try connecting these up, but again only worked with driving lights.

Anyone describe the foglight wiring?

Sorry, I know its a pain trying to work something out without photos!

Pete

I had a look at the wiring diagrams in the Max Ellery Manual - but there was nothing about front fog lights :roll: .

I guess, therefore, that someone has installed their own design.

You will need a fused, live supply that is only on with the ignition. I would look at the wiring diagrams and find something suitable coming from the ignition switch. I'd be inclined to avoid piggy-backing on the headlamp wiring which looks very thin to me.

Run that to a relay (at least 10A, depending on your bulb size . . 2 x 50W = 100W/12V = 8.333 Amps).

The switch will trigger the relay (i.e. the relay is live whenever the ignition is on).

The relay will feed the load (lamps).

Return is via earth (chassis etc) from the lamps to the negative side of the battery (you won't have to run a negative back to the battery yourself, providing there is a good earth return from the mounting).

The actual circuitry will depend on the type of relay you use, fortunately they come with instructions :thumbup: ).

As for what you've got already - I'd be inclined to remove it all and start again. I've found horrid things in used cars :doh:

Bob.

Yep, I think you are right, am going to leave the relay alone until I need driving lamps, will see if I can get the foglight rewired from scratch, no point in chasing the spahetti of wiring.

Did have a look in the max ellery but couldnt see them.

Electrickery isnt my strong point, might have to blag a favour.

Cheers

Pete

I would say it's safe to use a feed from the headlight wires for the trigger circuit for a fog light relay - as long as you run a good feed from the loaded circuit back to a new fused feed from the battery...

The fogs get turned off with all the other lights then....

Dave

Main problem I face is that ALL current wiring is red, same size, and there's loads of it.

Have traced two seperate circuits, one from the relay and one from who-knows-where that both operate off the headlight switch, so I can have 4 extra driving lights !

Am going to start from scratch with the foglights - some of the original wires are a bit thin and weedy looking!

Cheers

Pete

Back