Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Food

I've eaten those ready rations as a part of a job, where we were on it day after day for weeks. It's ok for the first 2 days, then it gets to be quite a pain for days. Best avoided, unless you really didn't have a choice. They are definitely a -lot- better an option than the survival biscuits thing. Those are proper horrible, but again, if it really is a question of survival, they are easy to store and will last ages.

The way they are setup, whats inside them, how they last etc etc are all based on constraints I would think we dont have when were out overlanding. There are however other read-to-eat type things that work well, with the same goals. Most supermarkets sell boil in a bag rice, there are also can'd things that can be poured out, heated and eaten. There is always things like dehydrated meats and veggies/fruits that could be added to the bag. Nuts and seeds can add flavour ( or a snack in itself). There are instant noodles, pasta etc that just needs hot water and a few things thrown in to make it nice. Some can'd meat can be nice, and I am not talking sardines!

if one was ready for it, I suspect it maybe possible to eat well, on the road, without needing major effort, for a week or more.

Karl, also, lets not forget you are already boiling water for your tea!

Back