Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

French Speaking Puzzle Solver Please.

frank rabbets

Guru
I am restoring a French clock made in about 1835. Picture of face enclosed. Normally the retailers name/address is on the face and I have a list of all of them but I cannot trace this one. I've tried translating but nothing happens. Is it a phrase? What is "MLE" ? Looks like an abbreviation. Any help would be most appreciated.
IMG_3593.JPG

Only reference I can see to Mle refers to model i.e. Mle - Modèle or "Model" followed by the design year. Used in designations for shells, cartridges, guns and mountings. Any help?

Clocks from this time period were often personalized to their owners, so it is also possible that "Mle Minas in Crieste" refers to the individual or organization for whom the clock was made, rather than the clockmaker or place of manufacture.
That was the answer from Gepetto (ChatGPT) (keep in mind that Gepetto is a compulsive liar)
I would guess "Mademosielle Minas", but is there a place called Crieste?

Have you checked the back carefully for an engraved signature?

Last edited:
Unless I'm mistaken, that is Monsieur Le Minas. The French capitalise surnames. M is Monsieur, Mme is Madame. Mademoiselle is Mlle

Last edited:
I took my clock to Mademosielle Minas and asked her to put a couple of hands on it .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nearly always the retailers name is put on the face in indian ink and comes off if you clean carelessly. In this case the words are part of the fired enamel along with the numerals which are always fired in.
There is no place called "Crieste" according to google earth.
Sometimes French clocks have English retailers names on their faces which makes me wonder if it is French writing on the face or perhaps another language, perhaps Spanish.
Thanks for all the help.

Silly question, are you positive it was made in France for someone in France?? 'Minas' means 'mines' in Portuguese and Spanish, as in Land Mines ... so maybe an external connection?

Hi Gary, I thought about an external connection but got nowhere. Defo made in France as it is by Vincentie et Cie.
Thanks

1679477653614.pngIn can mean the same in French .

I would go with it being a generic rather than personalized model "invest in Crieste" .

Crieste i read as a girls name perhaps deliberately obscure so to be rare , artistic licence if you will .

Back