Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Friendly Hello from South Carolina

1bert1

New to Land Cruisers. I am working on my cousins 1970 Land Cruiser. When I talked with her she made it sound like it had just run and I thought this would be a 1 day fix tops. But whoever maintained her cruiser did sloppy work and I am now committed to a big project. I don't mind a bit, but she lives 90 miles away and I am trying to save her money and fix it right and I am doing this one trip at a time. So, with your help I hope to be able to accomplish this right and fairly quick.

My name is Bert
I am working on a 1970 FJ45 with the 8R-F?? straight 6 engine. It has 11,500 original miles on it. Her late father bought it brand new. It sat for many years at times. It is also a manual column shift 4x4 hardtop. No rust. Kept in barn since new. I have a lot to learn about the land cruiser and I do work on cars just not familiar with these and I am glad this forum exists.

Hello Bert and your cousin welcome to the club and for the membership that cant read or write could you please post up some pictures it does not matter the condition its a Landcruiser if you can get the chassis and engine number there are a few members here that have encyclopaedic knowledge of the 45 and would be able to help you with your work on the truck what is the plan a running restoration total nuts and bolts restoration resto mod street queen or modified for mud and travelling

Hello SteveJB, I am 90 miles away at the moment. My cousin is 79 years old so she would not be able to get the numbers or pictures. She is in good health just is not computer savvy. I have ordered more parts and will be going back down there next Thursday. I will get some pics and get the engine block number and chassis number.
As far as the type of restoration, it is in very good condition. The seats look new. The frame is in excellent shape. The body is as well. Not one dent. It is totally complete from front to back. With only 11K miles on it it appears the only issues with it is carburation from bad gas and ignition issues and the poor engine work that was performed on it by a local shop.
As far as mods, she just wants me to get it reliably running so she can use it on her farm. I am posting in the 40 series sub forum. I hope that is the right sub forum. I think it is a FJ45. I have the Chilton manual number 68600.
Thanks for your reply!

Hi Bert, welcome....
Just love your post, old cruiser in immaculate condition, and a slightly not-so-young lady owner who wants it to work on her farm, what a great combination!

I‘ve friends in SC and I’m not surprised it’s not rusty, it never gets cold there let alone no salty winter roads.

Sadly, I know nothing of 40 Series, least of all gas ones and carburetors, but knowing of the ethanol problem in the USA, there’s likely loads of glazing / varnish in the carb and the whole run of fuel lines, not to mention rotted flexi pipes in the run from, and back to, the tank. Even the scavenger pipe and pick up filter inside the tank can be glazed up Solid.

I guess it’s worthwhile checking the whole fuel system out if it’s been standing a year or so, ethanol in the pump gas is a pain in the ass in the US. Try to get some regular ethanol-free fuel to soak everything and blow some brake cleaner through all the jets and lines and flush with fresh fuel.

Wishing you the best of luck with the overhaul, it will be well-worth it, 40s are well sought after especially 50 year old ones in good condition....

and please post some photos on your next visit. We love 40s. There’s plenty of members here that know them inside-out.

:text-worthless:

:icon-biggrin:

Back