Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front brake line bolt shear off

Aeroelastic

Country Flag
uk
Hi was changing my front disc and pad, when I took off the 12mm retainer bolt that hold the brake line the top suspension arm, it completely shear off, the bolt head cam off cleanly.
Now my question is how do I get the remaining out?
As a temporary measure is it ok to just zip tie the little bracket back to the suspension? How critical is it for the brake line to move together with the suspension? Will it stress the solid part of the pipeline? Thanks.

Attachments

• B5E9FBBC-B6EC-4204-8980-6C56A4AE42B9.jpeg
    B5E9FBBC-B6EC-4204-8980-6C56A4AE42B9.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 43
I just drilled it out and used a stainless nut and bolt .

A left handed drill bit (Dormers are good) is sometimes handy for drilling out, once they bite quite often the broken bit of bolt just screws out.

Thanks, I haven’t got a left hand drill bit, but the fact that this bolt end is exposed, I will try and use grip or some sort to twist at the espoused end. Failing that will go normal drill but drill from the exposed end hoping it will turn it back out from the bolt end....

All the usuay tricks before you do anything - spray it with an anti sieve several times to really get it to soak in/ give it a few wacks with a hammer/ put some heat on it. That'll give you the best chance of freeing out on the first try by whatever means you use. Unles you are drilling it out, your best chance is on the first attempt.

Oh, and don't forget to swear loudly as you're doing it.....

Last edited:
Managed to get the sucker out at the end, took me 2hours, started with the obvious such as mole grip from the exposed end, hammering etc but it wasn’t budging. So started drilling but it only went in a bit then stopped. Welded a nut to the exposed end which moved it slightly but more force shear off the weld. At the end I used smaller drill, bit by bit and finally it came off.

so for the other side, I now know not to remove that retaining nut, instead I un clip the little retaining bracket in the photo below, this is at the joint between the flexi line and rigid line, i then rotated the calliper upward to tie to the spring to change the rotor. As the flexi line allows you to rotate the rigid part not. Second side brake done within an hour...
All the YouTube videos I watched asked to remove the 12mm bolt but next time save you guys sometime if you only un clip the bracket at the photo below.

Attachments

• 00FE9035-2411-44E8-BFE9-05CDA848DA3A.jpeg
    00FE9035-2411-44E8-BFE9-05CDA848DA3A.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back