Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Brake Shims !

James Lampard

Happy New Year to everyone !

I took my 95 into a tyre place in Cornwall to do front pads whilst away for Christmas,
When the job was done I went over to check how low the pads had got and noticed they hadn't fitted the shims !
They assured me they weren't necessary as the new pads have a plastic backing (Pagid)
Anyway I was in a hurry so took their word for it ...... And the shims just incase !!
To be fair the pads don't seem to be squealing but I am guessing the shims are there for a reason
Thought I ought to get some advice from people who are familiar with the vehicle !
Cheers Jim

Hi Jim, I haven't had shims or backing plates or whatever in mine for the last 2 pad changes, and my brakes are lovely and silent. There are those that swear by them, but I'm happy anyway

Does anyone have any experience of Pagid or Eicher (I think) pads and discs? Euro car parts are selling them and I wondered if they are any good, plus does anyone know why they offer 2 or 3 variations of what appears to be the same product at varying prices?

Ive got pagid in my collie at the moment, i usually look out on ebay and buy up genuine pads when they come up. But this time i got caught out a couple of months after returning from an Italian road trip via the Alps, so had to buy the pagid from euro carparts. they seem ok but i have got the squeaky brake syndrome with them, i take it the materials are different. but i didnt get brake squeal with the genuine toyota pads.

And i do grease the backs of the pads/shims etc before anyone mentions it.:icon-biggrin:

We had problems with squealing pads and our suppliers said don't use any anti seize products on the back of the pads, it seems to work. I find squealling is usually caused by glazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they have done it from new, and i have grooved and dimpled discs all round so i would hope they wouldnt glaze. strange the manufactures would say no grease would be better. il try it when i next change the pads.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've always used the original shims back when replacing the pads, never had squealing issues even when breaking hard. I use some grease when sandwiching the shims in place, I think this helps reduce noise.

And for me, Pagid were very cheap and poor quality. They didn't last half as long as Toyota's OEM pads.

Didnt do the rear shims when I last changed the pads, damn things squeal like mad. Have bought some new shims to fit at next service.

I got Pagid hand brake shoes some time ago. They were slightly bigger than the originals and they could not fit inside the drum.

I know it's an old thread but I'll throw this out there in case it helps. I've used mostly Pagid pads & disks for years on various mainly VAG group cars and found them to be very good without noise and lasting a decent time. They are TMD friction who also own Mintex (which I have seen some recommend here) and Textar as well as being suppliers to various manufacturers particularly German. Depending on the fitment they may have a peel off backing exposing a self adhesive layer where no shims are used. I have not used them on a Toyota though so cannot say whether they do for those fitments. I replaced my KZJ95 fronts with Brembo from Eurocarparts which I have also found to be a decent friction brand in the past. Often you can get a large discount from Eurocarparts by subscribing to the emails and collect or get free delivery. I have been disinclined to try the Eicher brand as I have seen too many cheap parts be poor value and I will always try and get a known quality brand especially for brakes. People on here do seem to feel that the Toyota pads are particularly long lasting though which may represent better value. Having said that, I was more recently curious about the Aisin Optimix ones which Roughtrax (among others) sell as they are an semi metallic / organic / ceramic blend which is claimed to be low dust and long lasting & copper free and superseding their earlier part numbers. They ought to know a bit about friction being known for their gearboxes and are 30% owned by Toyota and manufacturer Toyota pads as well as for some other manufacturers.

Doesn't matter what brand pad or disq you use.
I always use a copper based paste between brake pads and calipers for noise reduction.
The same paste i use for greasing the pads in the slots.
It's heat resistant, works perfect, and cost almost zero euro's
More important is how you brake it in !!
Give it some time to run your pads in the disq, without full force, so they don't glaze ....

Doesn't matter what brand pad or disq you use.
I always use a copper based paste between brake pads and calipers for noise reduction.
The same paste i use for greasing the pads in the slots.
It's heat resistant, works perfect, and cost almost zero euro's
More important is how you brake it in !!
Give it some time to run your pads in the disq, without full force, so they don't glaze ....

IMG_1435.JPG

Back