Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Bumper GX

Dieseldragon

I'm looking at buying a new standard front bumper for my GX.
Mine is a 2001, but the only bumper I can find says it is only for upto 1999. Is there any difference?

There are 3 variant bumpers for our 90 series. The first is the bog standard one that is as wide as the BODY, and these fit on 90 series where there are no wheel flares. I think this is the one you need judging by your DP.

The next one up is the one meant for flares as well, but does not have any built in fog lights. These are pre-2000. Then post 2000 you have the fog light more modern front bumper thats wide for the flared body.

Not sure if they did a fog light base narrow version.... They are actually bolt up fine, but you'd want the one to match whether or not you have the wheel arch flares or not.

I have a 2000 one in the garage - for flares and with fog lamps - its a bit scratched and has a wee crack - yours if you want it, otherwise off to the dump this week

Been pondering your question DD and i struggle to accept the front bumper is different between wide and narrow body trucks size wise , mainly because it would not be cost effective on the manufacturing side of things .

I have my old bumper here which is no good to anyone as it was chopped up to fit a winch tray but the full width taken between the rear most edges is 185cm .

The front widebody arch sits on top of the bumper and is not connected to it at all , plus the widebody only exaggerates the lines already found on the steel body . :think:

Damaging flares off road is not uncommon so perhaps if you can find some pics of that it will offer some clues .

I am unable to find close up pics of where your bumpers meet the body but while looking at my own truck and thinking about the manufacturing process i would guess your rear bumper has a short , about 8" long second separate section behind the rear wheel ?

Here you go, actual car :)

DSCF0310.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Partsouq lists several different bumpers

• W(FRONT FENDER MOULDING & HEADLAMP CLEANER)
  • W(OVER FENDER & FRONT FOGLAMP & HEADLAMP CLEANER)
  • W(FRONT FOG LAMP & HEADLAMP CLEANER)
  • W(HEADLAMP CLEANER
  • W(FRONT FENDER MOULDING)
And 2 without mention of lights, headlamp washers or fender mouldings. From the pic I would guess on part number 5211960010. Interestingly a similar price to the rear wing moulding for a 95 :( (I need a new arch moulding)

Its bugging me because its something i have seen a 100 times without actually looking at it . From memory the bumper bolts under the steel body , and the front edge of the arch flare is very shallow , maybe a half inch . But the rear most part of where arch and bumper meet is maybe an inch and a half wider than the body .

That Mark's part search shows no mention of body width makes it even more of a curiosity for sure :think:

I wonder if the mounting points on the narrow body are slightly different encouraging the bumper to curve a little more over its entire length thus reducing the width at the points i measured between ?

I'm sure non of this is helping you at all DD so i will add that while i haven't actually tried it i am very confident the bumper off my 2001 d4d with fog lights would fit my 1998 1kz truck without fog lights with no messing about .

Some pictures of my narrow body bumper that might help. I've always assumed they were specific to the non-flare models
DSCF8553.jpg
DSCF8556.jpg
DSCF8485.jpg
DSCF8510.jpg

Slow internet makes it impossible for me to search but if i could i would search for posts from an old member here called sae70 . Steven has not been seen for a while so i do hope he met a supermodel nymphomaniac and is doing well . I seem to recall he popped a wheel arch on both Fiery (swb90) and Swampy (lwb 95) at some point or another .

Also ChrisGreen90 who no longer frequents the forum but bolted wheel arch flares to a narrow body swb 90 , i can't remember if he had a standard bumper or winch bumper at the time though ?

Pics of any , either or all might offer some clues .

Hi guys,

The narrow body bumper is definitely different! The wide body bumper is wider and meets up with the flares. The sides of the bumper are moulded differently to meet the fender flares.

My original question still stands, is there difference in the years? I can get one from local parts place, but it is 400€, the one I found online is 127 inc shipping but says only suitable for up to 1999.
I don't have foglights or anything, it is the most basic. Even digger Daves us posher with colour coded bumpers!

Thanks Steve, but only replacing it because it is grotty and scratched etc. It used to have a winch, so bits have been chopped out and so on

Nope, don't think there's any difference in the years. Width wise, there are only two variations.

Well it is ordered, so hope for the best. I ended up buying in a car spares place, that way easier to send back if not right.
They only had 2 listed, one with body moulding and one without.

The new bumper arrived. It didn't fit as it was about 13cm wider than the body!

Doesn't look like there is a pattern part available so will go to Mr. T this morning and see what a genuine part costs.

Oh no, that's irritating.

When I was looking at part numbers for the bumpers Partsouq was about £170 iirc

Back