Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front CV Outer boot

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Is this an easy enough job. Failed MOT on it today so I am hoping to be able to replace it myself. Any pointers or things to look out for would be a great help.

Thanks Guys

Chris

you will need a C clip for the CV joint as there is a very good choice you will break it getting it off, easy enough to do though

easy enough, but can take some time

best to undo the 4 bolts under the hub to disconnect it from lower control arm,
so you can lift the hub/calliper out of the way to remove CV joint.

you have choice of removing entire CV joint - this will mean draining diff oil first, as it will pour out side-shaft when you remove CV joint

but you may be able to leave CV joint in-situ and therefore not need to drain oil and split inner joint after marking it up i.e. position of inner CV joint components so they go back together same way - take bearing tulip off the shaft - but you would have to be very carefull to make sure no dirt drops onto anything, and there will be limited room to work in, and lots grease and mess!

and also not sure if outer CV boot would slide all the way along the shaft from the inner end?

reason for doing this is less disturbance of seals in hub or diff, and no need to split outer CV joint which can be a pain

I've always thought it worthwhile removing joint from the shaft (in situ) and degreasing, checking for heat marks (sign that the hardnening will start to fail if it's been run dry) and pitting (debris getting into the boot) and making sure it's clear of debris before reassembling - this way you can easily slip the boot on, then re-install the joint and pack with grease. Not done one on a cruiser yet, but done several others over the years

Back