Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front diff lock removal.

Liam T

Country Flag
uk
evening all, might be a stupid question but do I have to pull the drivers side half shaft to remove front diff lock? Got all the bolts out cover plate of the actuator rod and it won’t come out. Only been gentle for the moment. Does it have to be in the locked position or unlocked? Problem is that the actuator is stuck.

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 17.42.00.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 17.51.59.png
The FSM shows the removal/install procedure with the actuator in the locked position. No need to remove the half shafts. If the actuator is under any tension it could be difficult to remove. Try removing it with both front wheels off the floor to free off any transmission wind up.

When i removed the rear locker on my 80 i ended up with slider gear and the fork dropping inside the axle Tube. Resulting in a axle strip down to get the bits out.. But i did have the drive shafts out, So thinking this was my mistake.. Im sure they recommend having the diff lock engaged before removal.. But if its Shagged you cant engage or disengage.. Catch 22 i guess....

View attachment 157327 View attachment 157328 The FSM shows the removal/install procedure with the actuator in the locked position. No need to remove the half shafts. If the actuator is under any tension it could be difficult to remove. Try removing it with both front wheels off the floor to free off any transmission wind up.

Thank you fir the info, I’ve done exactly as the FSM states but it won’t budge. I am reluctant to force it as the casing will more than likely crack.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When i removed the rear locker on my 80 i ended up with slider gear and the fork dropping inside the axle Tube. Resulting in a axle strip down to get the bits out.. But i did have the drive shafts out, So thinking this was my mistake.. Im sure they recommend having the diff lock engaged before removal.. But if its Shagged you cant engage or disengage.. Catch 22 i guess....
Thanks, I’ve already replaced CDL and rear locker as well, the rear one was ruined and I ended up taking out the rear diff as well to complete the job.

It's OK listing what the book says to do, but that's in a nice warm Toyota dealer with a truck under warranty.

Know for sure that there is nothing more holding it on but age. Bolts are out - it's supposed to come off. You cannot twist it because there are small dowels effectively. Where it tends to stick is the pinion boss. This is steel against alloy and a rubber O ring.

You just have to persevere with gentle tapping, wiggling and general kindness.

It's OK listing what the book says to do, but that's in a nice warm Toyota dealer with a truck under warranty.

Know for sure that there is nothing more holding it on but age. Bolts are out - it's supposed to come off. You cannot twist it because there are small dowels effectively. Where it tends to stick is the pinion boss. This is steel against alloy and a rubber O ring.

You just have to persevere with gentle tapping, wiggling and general kindness.
Yes that’s for sure, but if it’s in the locked position will it come out? I’ve had a good go at prising it out and it seem well and truly attached to me.

O rings can sometimes hang on for grim death and anything alloy against steel is going to have corrosion involved. Is there any chance of getting a couple of thin screwdrivers or Stanley knife type blades in between the mating surfaces? Copious amounts of penetrating oil or even diesel or WD 40 in to help encourage it may do the trick.

O rings can sometimes hang on for grim death and anything alloy against steel is going to have corrosion involved. Is there any chance of getting a couple of thin screwdrivers or Stanley knife type blades in between the mating surfaces? Copious amounts of penetrating oil or even diesel or WD 40 in to help encourage it may do the trick.
Ive finished for today, will have another go tomorrow do as you say soak it with Wd and get a thin driver in there or a scraper. I’ve got a feeling the casing is going to crack to be honest.

Give it a spray tonight and let it soak. The old graphited penetrating oil used to be good stuff for such things.

View attachment 157327 View attachment 157328 The FSM shows the removal/install procedure with the actuator in the locked position. No need to remove the half shafts. If the actuator is under any tension it could be difficult to remove. Try removing it with both front wheels off the floor to free off any transmission wind up.
It’s on axle stands all round as I am renewing suspension. Think I will drop the prop shaft tomorrow and see if I can work if the locker is engaged.

We rook nicks off in the field at fake lincomb.
They can be quite tight at times. Just tap a small flat head between the locker face and the diff. Be careful not to snap it wherw the long Thread goes through the locker. If yoj break it give me a shout. always have a few on the shelf ;)

Give it a spray tonight and let it soak. The old graphited penetrating oil used to be good stuff for such things.
I’ll give it a go thanks.
We rook nicks off in the field at fake lincomb.
They can be quite tight at times. Just tap a small flat head between the locker face and the diff. Be careful not to snap it wherw the long Thread goes through the locker. If yoj break it give me a shout. always have a few on the shelf ;)
ive got a feeling it will crack, will give you a shout if it does.

Locked or unlocked doesn't really make any difference. There's no additional forces holding the pinion in the rack in the locked position.

As mentioned. Soak it. Soak it good and proper. This will soften the oxidised aluminium. Lightly tap one side, then the other.
I'm not a fan of driving a narrow metal wedge between two mating surfaces. It can easily cause damage.
As well as many other parts I carry front actuators in stock.

Have to address my front locker at a later date, not looking forward to it in the least but my question is will locked or unlocked make to difference ?

Back