Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front diff lock removal.

No difference locked or unlocked. You could try pouring boiling water over it but nothing hotter like a blowlamp unless you can shield the wire.

Thanks to all for the advice on removing front difflock but I broke the bugger getting it of today. Not too surprised given the state of it. Good news is I've given All round good clean up and once I can afford one should be all ready to slot it in. Getting on with finishing suspension upgrade for now got some EFS shocks and spring going on, half way through the job so far.

Thanks to all for the advice on removing front difflock but I broke the bugger getting it of today. Not too surprised given the state of it. Good news is I've given All round good clean up and once I can afford one should be all ready to slot it in. Getting on with finishing suspension upgrade for now got some EFS shocks and spring going on, half way through the job so far.

Shame you couldnt save it.

You're not the first. You won't be the last. I'd think that most 80's never even had an owner try the lockers until they'd passed 100,000 miles. Using them regulalry keeps them in trim for sure, but salt water corrosion and galvanitic thingy whatsit is the certain death knell for the casing regardless.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You're not the first. You won't be the last. I'd think that most 80's never even had an owner try the lockers until they'd passed 100,000 miles. Using them regulalry keeps them in trim for sure, but salt water corrosion and galvanitic thingy whatsit is the certain death knell for the casing regardless.
Agree with you there, my 80 has certainly been neglected before I bought it. It will never be perfect but if I can get it mechanically sound I will be happy.

When i did the Lockers on my 90 and 80 The internals i managed to salvage.. But the casings, Just Hoovered them up and slung em in the Bin.... I knew before i started they were not coming off in one Piece...When you start mating different metals together its a recipe for disaster.. Like Chris says throw in some Salt water, And its gave over... See it on Boats all the time, Bronze to mild steel/ Brass to Stainless/ Plastic to anything is always a good un.. And Alu to anything! Well There 'ya' go....

When i did the Lockers on my 90 and 80 The internals i managed to salvage.. But the casings, Just Hoovered them up and slung em in the Bin.... I knew before i started they were not coming off in one Piece...When you start mating different metals together its a recipe for disaster.. Like Chris says throw in some Salt water, And its gave over... See it on Boats all the time, Bronze to mild steel/ Brass to Stainless/ Plastic to anything is always a good un.. And Alu to anything! Well There 'ya' go....
Yes you are spot on there,I’ve done a lot of sailing myself in the past and saltwater is an absolute killer.

Back