Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front diff needed

sharpy

Country Flag
uk
Right gents I'm in need of a front diff for a 1997 lwb Colorado with the 1kzte engine if anyone has one or knows of one and a rough guide on how much I can expect to pay thanks for any help or if anyone wants to buy said truck with a busted front diff then make an offer

You'll need the code first as there are a dozen different configurations. There should be a sticker on there that says something like R16

SAE70 (Steve) posted a very comprehensive write up on this some years ago including all the codes.

Thanks Chris yes I've just read that thread and full of great info and from memory I think mine said R57 on it which has me confused but I will confirm when I get back to the truck after lunch

20190501_143724.jpg
20190501_143612.jpg
Just to confirm it has a sticker with R57 on it and the vin plate looks like this

Well that's certainly the sticker. That's as much as I can tell you!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm going out on a limb and saying it's a 4.3 ratio diff that I'm in need off someone correct me if I'm wrong

Ok diff ratios and mine has R57 on it and I've found one with R17 on it. What's the difference will R17 fit on and work on my truck

If you change both diffs to a matching pair then it'll work. If you don't then you're back at square one "changing diffs!" It doesn't work with different codes unless you change both at the same time! Hope this helps you.

It
If you change both diffs to a matching pair then it'll work. If you don't then you're back at square one "changing diffs!" It doesn't work with different codes unless you change both at the same time! Hope this helps you.
It does thanks I think I will try to run it in 2wd until I can find a diff of the correct type and right price or possibly put an elocker in. Has anyone run their truck in 2wd if so what needs to come off and is it safe?

Thanks

I did when I blew my diff up at Lincomb. But that made it front wheel drive only.
When I was in the process of fitting my front locker, I was in rear wheel drive only

Either way, just be careful on wet roundabouts. You really need to pull the CV joints and the front prop to stop all the gubbins from mashing around inside. You're going to have to remove the front diff at some point so in truth I guess you could just do that at the same time. The best option is to have everything ready so you do a swap all at once. It is not drivable like it is now?

It

It does thanks I think I will try to run it in 2wd until I can find a diff of the correct type and right price or possibly put an elocker in. Has anyone run their truck in 2wd if so what needs to come off and is it safe?

Thanks
We use to run most 4x4s on the farm with the front prop off, due to u/j issues.. No long term affects at all, But it depends on what is damaged in your Diff.. even with the prop off things will still be spinning round So really you need to remove shafts etc,... Maybe someone with a bigger brain than mine will have a solution...... AH! Beat me to it Chris...

I did when I blew my diff up at Lincomb. But that made it front wheel drive only.
When I was in the process of fitting my front locker, I was in rear wheel drive only

Either way, just be careful on wet roundabouts. You really need to pull the CV joints and the front prop to stop all the gubbins from mashing around inside. You're going to have to remove the front diff at some point so in truth I guess you could just do that at the same time. The best option is to have everything ready so you do a swap all at once. It is not drivable like it is now?
It has the now very distinctive clunk knock jolt tune playing so it will move but slowly I'm reluctant to drive it for fear of anything else being destroyed so its sat in my brother's yard until a new diff can be found or the 2wd solution can be solved. So it seems front prop off, drop front axle remove cvs and put the outer bit back to keep wheels in place is that about it?
Appreciate the help gents

You can split the CVs off the drive shafts and pop them back into the diff to keep the crap out and the oil in.

Back