Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Driveshaft Seals

Simon5030

Country Flag
great_britain
So after many years happy motoring i have had to replace the front drivers side inner CV boot (did the other side a few years ago and did a write up)
Decided to also replace the dust cover as it had rotted through, went for genuine CV boot and replica dust cover.
After stripping it all down i noticed the 'Steering Knuckle Oil Seal' that fits into the back of the 'Steering Knuckle' and engages with the drive shaft seal was a bit shot but serviceable. So i proceeded to look for replacements for both the drive shaft seal and knuckle seal.
I think that are more like a labyrinth dust seal rather than an oil seal as ther is no oil behind them!
Sample below showing the seal on the drive shaft
fa084_2.jpg

The above one I cannot seem to confirm anything on this seal and it doesn't show it in the manual either!
Does this come as part of the shaft normally?
The only info i could find was this below
ds-ft-drive-shaft-seal-knuckle-wheel-bearing-axle-hub-019-jpg.1360556.jpg

But i cannot confirm if this is the correct seal form my drive shaft?
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/outboard-cv-joint-dust-seal.961774/
on their website they refer to the 4Runner and issues with the seals meshing?

Anyone got any pointers?

Thanks
Simon

I'd buy it for my 90 as it shares many parts with the Surf including the front diff i believe and as the joint's aren't known to be weak why would Toyota change them and even if the 120 doesn't have the same width of diff - they would just alter the shafts length surely . A worthy gamble i reckon .

Back