Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front end noise!

Check the connections to the rear of the alternator but pay attention to the battery connection. It’s via a fusible link on the side where the power steering pump sits and yes it’s perfectly possible they may have damaged something. If the fusible link has been pulled or the main alternator cable or terminal shorted then it’s posdible this fusible link has become disconnected. Don’t simply assume the alternator has gone without doing some simple tests first such as continuity from the alternator main terminal to the LHS battery + and that all plugs etc are correctly fitted. Look around for any damage that may have been caused. Measure voltage at the alternator terminal. Use a multimeter for these tests. Check for blown fuses.

If all checks out, maybe you were unlucky but it seems too much of a coincidence.

Last edited:
When contemplating a diff swap, make sure the inside of the axle casing is completely clean and free of any debris that may have come from the original diff.

A piece of broken tooth or bearing swarf or such like left in there will soon destroy the replacement unit.

It's not easy to be sure it's clean. It may look good in the middle, but a piece of tooth could be lurking up one or the other of the shaft arms of the casing.

Ideally, I'd suggest to take the whole axle off the truck, strip it right down so that you can see end-to-end with a torch, when inspecting it.

I had a very similar noise that, it spooked the hell out of me. Really strange,
Just did complete swivel rebuild one week ago, new cv’s, new spindle bushes, seals, wheel bearings, front diff oil, ... However I do have 2 or 3 U-joints where I can feel a slight or very slight play, and some play in the rear driveshaft slip joint.

Last edited:
I had a very similar noise that, it spooked the hell out of me. Really strange,
Just did complete swivel rebuild one week ago, new cv’s, new spindle bushes, seals, wheel bearings, front diff oil, ... However I do have 2 or 3 U-joints where I can feel a slight or very slight play, and some play in the rear driveshaft slip joint.

Yeah it's a pretty scary noise. Has it fixed the problem for you? Or is it too soon to tell? I've done all of that except for new CVs and new spindle bushes.

Yeah it's a pretty scary noise. Has it fixed the problem for you? Or is it too soon to tell? I've done all of that except for new CVs and new spindle bushes.
The noise came up a week after I did all the work, whilst driving fast on my cobble stone driveway, so I was thinking it was a U joint rattling because of the cobbles, and jamming and making the noise.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Did you already found what caused your noise?
Had it happening today again on a short trip. I did a bit longer trip this weekend (40km in hot weather), no problem.
Today I had it happening whilst coasting, the first time I was coasting as well, this time on flat road surface. I did notice the front diff flange is getting a tiny bit greasy, but no play on the flange.
But if it was the diff, I would think it would whine and make the noise all the time?

Did you already found what caused your noise?
Had it happening today again on a short trip. I did a bit longer trip this weekend (40km in hot weather), no problem.
Today I had it happening whilst coasting, the first time I was coasting as well, this time on flat road surface. I did notice the front diff flange is getting a tiny bit greasy, but no play on the flange.
But if it was the diff, I would think it would whine and make the noise all the time?

Unfortunately I still haven't got to the bottom of it. The power steering pump has been replaced but I took the car for a drive and it still made the noise so that hasn't fixed it. I haven't been driving the car because of my broken ankle so I haven't been investigating it thoroughly at the moment. I have noticed that there is quite a bit of play in my diff, and there is a decent oil leak coming from the centre diff, so I may need to investigate this too.

Guys, I checked my prop shaft U joints, and theres no play at all. The play is all rotation in the diff flange (approx 10-15 degrees).

If I can rotate my prop shaft this would mean that there is play in the front and centre diffs? does this mean I need to get both looked at? What's the best way to inspect the centre diff? and will I need to pull the front diff apart to inspect it?

To check play in that area, lock the centre diff first. There is a large amount of backlash in the transfer box and quite a bit in the front diff too plus the front half shafts. 10 to 15 degrees sounds about right doing it the way you are. But it's not really that definitive. The only way to inspect a front diff is to take it out. You need to check the bearings, measure the rotational pre-load and measure the backlash as well as inspect the teeth on the R&P.

Typically whilst all of these do go a bit out of spec on an older 80, they're seldom at the point of self destruction. I rebuild 80 front diffs and have never had one in that I felt would have let go catastrophically. Despite being HUGELY out of spec. The only major component failure that affect these in a way that needs immediate remedial action is the outer (drive flange end) pinion bearing and seal. Wear in the prop UJs is transferred into the companion flange ultimately knackering the outer bearing. The good news is that this can be replaced on the vehicle but only if you have the correct service tool. I don't have one and have tried making my own with no success. The correct Toyota one is eye wateringly expensive. So I have the diff out on the bench and do the lot in one go. I would say that if there is up and down play in the companion flange then the bearing needs changing and could, I say COULD be the cause of the noise as it vibrates due to a sort of harmonic that sometimes occurs in your vehicle. If you've no play in the bearing then I think it's unlikely to be a diff issue.

Mate I appreciate the quality response! Yeah there's no play other than the rotation I mentioned, and a mate of mine who owns an 80 and is a mechanic has had a look and he reckons that amount of play is fairly normal.

Regarding the service tool for replacing the pinion bearing and seal, is this something that a standard mechanics workshop would have? Or is it a tool that toyota keeps for themselves? (My aforementioned mate works at a mechanic franchise so if I can get him to do the job it will only cost me in beers, not $$).

------------------------------------------------------

Again, I appreciate the response from all of you guys, and apologise that I haven't found an answer for you yet! As I said it's not at the top of my priority list at the moment as I'm not currently driving the car, but I will keep you all updated as I go!

Put simply it's a gear puller. But the pinion bearing is deep in the shroud of the diff casing and unusually, you have to pull on the middle of the bearing not the outside of the race. This means that the teeth on the puller have to be hardened and VERY thin. It's nothing special - it's just special if you get me. But if there's nothing wrong with the bearing then leave it be. Normally when it's gone, you will get leaking too as it batters the seal into submission. You can change the seal easy, but then it goes again because the cause is the bearing. if there's no detectable up and down movement in the flange itself nor any noise then it's probably good enough and nothing to bother about just now when you've bigger issues to find. I need to get a tool because even when on the bench the rear bearing needs to come on and off several times and the only other way is to take the whole diff apart each time which destroys the hard work you've just done. It's tiresome.

Sorry for the thread resurrection but did you manage to eat to the bottom of this. My 80 has started making a similar noise this evening and I’m a tad concerned!!

Many thanks

Rob

Sorry for the thread resurrection but did you manage to eat to the bottom of this. My 80 has started making a similar noise this evening and I’m a tad concerned!!

Many thanks

Rob
This is pretty much the same noice as mine makes did anyone find out what it was

This is pretty much the same noice as mine makes did anyone find out what it was
Mine turned out to be a bearing race in the swivel hub that had started to disintegrate. It was catching on the axle splines. New bearings sorted out the noise

Mine turned out to be a bearing race in the swivel hub that had started to disintegrate. It was catching on the axle splines. New bearings sorted out the noise
Not sure what bearing you mean tbh

Back