Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front signal issue... to flash or not to flash. That is the question.

maurerframewerks

Country Flag
united_states
I removed the original 1157 amber bulbs and replaced with LED version in the front corner light assemblies quite a while ago. These are not to be confused with the lower rectangle lamps that are your turn signals/blinkers (see image). I want to go back to the regular bulb but can't remember if they flash or not. I'm assuming they would since it takes a two filament bulb like the 1157, one for park lights and the other for turn signal. I did swap back to the original two filament bulb and no flashing/blinking. These are supposed to blink correct? Maybe I fried something by installing the LED version? Thx!

Attachments

• lccorner.jpeg
    lccorner.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 10
You don't say what year yours is, but on my 92 70 series lj78, jap import, that had twin filament bulbs in there.
From another forum I was told that one filament is for side/parking lights, and the other comes into operation with lights and indicators on to give more illumination on the corners when turning.
Never verified it, just swapped original clear bulbs with frosted fronts out for normal clear.
Iwan or Tel Boy on here are 70 series fans, so they may be able to shed more light ( no pun)

Last edited:
No light on the matter at all, I'm afraid. I'm completely in the dark on this one.

Judging by what you two guys above have said, it sounds like there were different lights for different markets. I have just had to replace the first front upper corner wing light on my UK spec '94 70 series. Spotted it on a pre-MOT check over (sailed through as usual), it had finally let go after 29 years. But on UK cars it's a single filament bulb with only two wires to the fitting. It's just a sidelight. The one in the bumper does the blinking, along with the little repeater on the side of the wing.

So I have got no idea what the second filament is for. Does it blink with the other turn indicators or is it a brighter sidelight plus a dimmer long term parking light? From what Tractionman says, it sounds like the first one, in which case maurerframewerks definitely has something amiss. Can LEDs fry anything? I would suspect a general wiring problem like a loose or corroded connector.

Mine is a 1994 LC Prado import. KZJ78. It definitely takes the 1157 with the offset pins. I threw in those LED's and found myself asking, "Wait, didn't those blink before?", then researched a bit more and found the LED and flasher issues since they need a Canbus or resister. Of course a year+ has gone by now. I did throw in the original two filament bulbs and no flash and no 4 ways/hazards but park lights work as should. All other lamps work as should: lower front blinkers, fender side turns, taillights. Stumped. Keep the puns coming.

Attachments

• 1157.png
    1157.png
    301.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Tel, there were different lights for different markets, and we 3 have got different versions by the sounds of it.
Maybe I'm a bit dim (pun), but from what I was told, there was no mention of the sidelight flashing with the amber indicator lower in the front body, just got brighter when l or r indicator activated. Maybe they did and I didn't notice
Quite how it worked, I don't know, as I would've thought if the 2nd light filament was drawing power from indicators, that would flash too. From memory, I just put single filament clear with offset pins as normal in, to have brighter sidelight/parking lights.

Maurer, trying to work out why you think those lights would flash as indicators, when you have them in the lower amber rectangle as mine for indicators, + as Tel says, the liitle repeater on side wing. Odd, isn't it ?

You learn something new every day! That is indeed a weird one. Who would pay attention to so subtle a brightness change when there are two flashing orange lights close by? I guess maurer's import was not from Japan, but from some left hand drive market which has the same strange lighting requirement as Japan.

The canbus/resistor thing when using LEDs seems to be fairly well known now, but why returning to the original bulbs leaves them not going bright/dim like they used to and the hazards not working remains a mystery which I'm sorry to say is beyond my limited experience. Electronics, don't you just love em?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back