Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front spot light's

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Been planning the connection of my new spots. Has anyone wired them just to the high beam trigger and wished they had an override to allow them to come on separately?
Is it a legal requirement to have a second switch to activate them?
Also looking for a feed for the DRLs any suggestions?

I have 2 ways left in my switch controller so I can do this but leaves me no expansion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220406-200402_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20220406-200402_Samsung Notes.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 32
I have a disable switch for my front spot lights wired to the main beams. I don't think there's any legal requirement other than they must dip along with the OEM headlights if wired to the main beam circuit. Mine have never even been mentioned in any MOT I've had done since they were fitted over 10 years ago.

The rules state:

Code:
10. Electrical Connections.

10(a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the light emitted there from:

(i) can be deflected at the will of the driver to become a dipped beam, or
(ii) can be extinguished by the operation of a device which at the same time either

(A) causes the lamp to emit a dipped beam, or
(B) causes another lamp to emit a dipped beam.

10(b) Where a matched pair of main-beam headlamps is fitted they shall be capable of being switched on and off simultaneously and not otherwise.

12. Other Requirements.

12(a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the direction of the beam of light emitted there from can be adjusted whilst the vehicle is stationary.

I don’t believe that they have to be separately switched so that they can be disabled, but personally would (and have) done that so that if “on” are switched (via relay) with high beam, but can be disabled so as to not have to work for the mot (they would be classed as auxiliary lights and are therefore not tested) and also so as to not attract too much attention to myself with lighting up half the county when on.

Back