Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front suspension sagging?

Animal Mother

Country Flag
wales
It's been a while since I posted, so hello all!
I've a 2007 LC4 with 110k miles. Draws in the rear, steel bash-plates and dual battery setup in the front. Standard suspension. UK spec (single fuel tank).
I've noticed clunks from the front suspension when going over speedbumps, potholes, etc. but everything in the front suspension components (ball-joints, etc.) seems fine (brand new hub/bearings, new drive shafts, on both sides), everything looks well.
On inspection I noticed the bump stops in the front are very close to the wishbones (around 2cm). I then measured the suspension height (bottom of wheel rim to the bottom edge of the arch. It measured at 720mm. I've read that this should be 740-760mm. Also, on level ground, the angle of the front driveshafts goes up toward the wheel from the diff, would you expect the driveshafts to be horizontal or angle downwards from diff to the wheel?
The question is, would you expect that front springs could be this tired after 11k miles on a 2007?
Could this be the culprit of the clunk?
Is there anything else I should check?
Is it time for a suspension refresh? If so, OME, Pedders, Tein, something else? (I'm happy with standard height or a very slight (1") lift. I need to compensate for the drawers and dual batteries though.

Last edited:
That doesn't seem right. As you say, I would expect the driveshafts to be level at worst and perhaps ideally a very shallow angle down towards the wheel?

Very common on the Hilux which is essentialy the same front end. Broken front springs very common indeed. Speed bumps. Avoid peddars if you don't want any lift on std height. Regardless of whatever they tell you. Go on ask me how I know.

Back