Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Frontrunner slanted tank - level sensor.

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Anyone fitted a level sensor to the FR slanted tank. The access point is too small to get a hand in for an internal nut/s so only option I can see is one mounted to the the tank cap or using screws from the outside.

I have an analogue gauge which I'd like to keep so I've been looking at float type sensors.

Thought about this myself. At present I just use a dipstick. The other way which is what I have on the Cruiser tank is a simple sight tube. I tapped a BSP thread into the tank, screwed in a 90 elbow then ran a vertical length of push fit clear tube into the fitting. Just like an old style oil tank really. It's worked well all this time.

In my case, the tap isn't fixed down. So just lifting it up a bit shows the water level on the clear frontrunner pipe.

@Shayne that's what I did in my other tank but you could get a hand inside to nut the back of the bolts. Thought about doing the same and using screws but don't think I will get enough pressure with the thin tank walls.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can't you fix it to the cap ?

Just been looking at sonic no contact level sensors .

Check out something called Sugru , i can think of a million applications but none that i specifically need , might be of use in giving you something to screw into .

What about using rivnuts and then you can use bolts to retain the sender.
That said I like the sight glass idea.... reliable , low tech , and needs no calibration.

I was thinking just drill an appropriate size hole to drop the float in and the Sugru being a formable glue creates a watertight spacer/seal which you can screw into .

No moving parts ...

Screenshot 2022-01-01 at 16.04.28.jpg

@Rosy has some contraption
Contraption indeed.. I used a Wema S3 sender which takes about 10 min 10 fit using the tank fitting flange.

All bits listed below

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_171823.jpg
    IMG_20200926_171823.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20220101_171858764.jpg
    PXL_20220101_171858764.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 33
happy to help - just make sure you get the correct length sender!

Is that completely new hole?

Is that completely new hole?
yep - from memory theres a little round hump in the middle of the tank which i drilled out. The instructions below describe the procedure for fixing the flange. Once thats in the sender just screws into the flange.

I like the wema stuff, well built, the gauges look great and the high resolution sender provides an accurate instantaneous reading.

hfl-tank-fitting-flange-wema-uk-153577_1200x1200.jpeg

I need to go and measure the internal height of the tank.

Trust me to invent a solution they already sell :icon-rolleyes:

@Chris If its the front runner tank mine was 341mm internal so I went for the 325 high resolution sensor.

Cheers HMG, it is one of those exactly, yes.

Back