Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel consumption of a land cruiser 100 sereis 4.5 petrol.

wombat

Country Flag
australia
I am thinking at buying a 100 series land cruiser with a 4.5 petrol 6 cylinder engine to tow a 2000kg caravan but I have been told that they are fuel guzzlers when towing. Is this true? The model that I am looking at was made in yr 2000. I only have $19, 000 as my budget. I would like to pick up a Turbo Diesel but all the one that I have looked at are either above my price range or has heap of Km on the clock.
wombat

Last edited:
Hi isn't the 4.5 v6 on the 80 series. The 4.7 v8 100 series petrol does about 12-15 mpg

ouch,

12 to 15 mpg.

That's going to hurt.

Gra

Wombat, wait for Scott to come back; he's running a 105 series petrol auto at the moment and he'll be in a better position to tell you what fuel economy is going to be like.

My FJ73 averaged 16l/100km and that as the 3F 4.0 litre carby petrol, whilst my 4Runner is 12/100km. Hopefully that gives you some ideas as to what the economy on a 100 series is going to be like.

I'd expect that 19-20l/100km is realistic towing, and the biggest difference is going to be between travelling at 110kmh and 90kmh...

Avoids confusion of imperial or US MPG... Litres per hundred km makes much more sense in a few ways.... And at least we're not measuring litres per km... That would be depressing!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't tow but the 80 with a 4.5 straight 6 btw (1fz-fe) is anything from 12 to 18 mpg so 15 to 23 l/100km?? Thats modded and depends if the wife is with me or not :lol: also depends which wheels are fitted.

I've had 2 petrol/LPG 80's, even with frequent use of LPG its an expensive toy to run. Short journeys/ stop start gets it right down to 10-12.

Andy

Hi Wombat, as Ed has said I'm currently touring Oz in a 105 series 4.5L petrol land cruiser. Being a petrol I always knew that it was going to be thirsty, especially as ours has a load of heavy gear bolted to it, and when fully loaded is running around its GVM of 3.5T. So I haven't been measuring the fuel economy, but that said I'd notice if it was horrendous, which out here it isn't, if I was doing this in the UK then it probably would be a different answer.

In Oz petrol is cheaper ($1.55per litre approx), and cheaper than diesel ($1.65per litre approx), for me the exchange rate is working in my favour so I'm paying around 86-90p per litre, which by my book is cheap!

It really depends on how much mileage your going to do in the vehicle per year, for me I'm using it for 2 months of the year only, so I can live with the slightly thirstier model. If your going to do a load of Ks a year, then it'll hurt. Do bear in mind that a diesels economy gets worse when heavily loaded, I'm not sure how the two compare when running fully loaded, might be worth asking on some of the Ozzy forums for that one.

You say 100 series with the 4.5L straight 6, mine is a 105 with the 4.5L straight 6 engine (105 has a solid beam front axle), the 100 series petrol engine is the 4.7L V8 as far as I'm aware in Oz. So your probably looking at a 105. If your going to mainly use the vehicle on the road, and for towing, it might be worth comparing the 100 series, the independent front suspension is more comfortable on the road and the 4.7L is a more modern engine, so it might be slightly better on fuel.

Whatever you buy make sure it's at least got the 50L sub tank, I swapped mine out for a 150L sub tank, to increase my range. The 90L main tank would be a little restrictive when doing long runs.

So buy a petrol and get a better vehicle with less Ks, or a diesel that'll have more Ks, be more expensive and possibly need more spent on it? Decisions, decisions!

Did a trip at the weekend and used MotionX to get the stats, using 1fz-fe, I did 232 miles avg speed was 52.5 mph (this was mostly around M25 and M4) so most was around the 62mph, filled up with 61litres which I think gives a 17.12 mpg or 16.5 l/100km. That was with 2.4m rook rack on for the last 70miles.

In some markets the IFS 100 series was available with the 4.5L I6, Erik has/had one.

In some markets the IFS 100 series was available with the 4.5L I6, Erik has/had one.
That's handy info to know Jon, thanks. So when looking at a 100 series it'll pay to look at the front axle, engine and vin plate, to actually see what your looking at. I don't know if Australia was one of the markets that got the 100 with the 4.5 straight 6, but with how the imports have worked their way into various countries over the years, it can get a little confusing. The only 100's I've seen in Oz have had the 4.7 V8 under the bonnet.

Some further thoughts. My 105 is (as Ed originally said) an auto, which is my preference, but auto gearboxes do add to the fuel consumption. I find that running the air conditioning does make an noticeable increase in fuel consumption, especially in the heatwave conditions that we've been experiencing over the last 7 weeks. Our usage has also been a little heavy on fuel, as we've been driving our loaded 105 on steep mountainous roads, dirt roads, and heavy going 4WD tracks with lots of low range gear usage, but after all that I'm still happy with the consumption that we're getting. With our 240L of fuel in tanks the car has good range, and has never come close to running out. If it just had the 90L tank then that would be a bit of a handy cap, but when we bought ours it had the 90L main and 50L sub tanks, which I believe it left the factory with. I'm not sure which Australian land cruisers came with this set up from the factory, but it's worth having if possible.

When I was looking to buy, I was advised to keep clear of LPG'd vehicles as most have older LPG systems don't lubricate the valves, allowing premature wear of the valves seats etc, the remedy, a new head $5000 approx. Plus LPG would not be available at some of our destinations. As I perused the ads I started to notice more and more LPG land cruisers that had had a replacement engine, or recent new head. Makes you wonder why they are being sold, and if your buying someone else's trouble.

Be wary of some of the cheaper diesels on the market in Oz, mostly they are the normally aspirated 4.2 diesel engines, which are fine as long as you don't want to get anywhere in a hurry, and could prove a little asthmatic in hilly country with a caravan on the back. The majority, if not all the 105 series will have the 4.2 NA engine (HZJ105), where as the 100 series normally has the more powerful turbo diesel 4.2 engine (HDJ100).

If you find a 4.2 NA with an aftermarket turbo installation, make sure that your happy its been done correctly, and the boost isn't wound up too high. As I'm always weary of a NA engine that has been turbo'd, but there are plenty that have been in Oz, so again, the local forums would be able to give a reliable reliability prognosis.

For towing and occasional dirt road use, I'd be looking at a petrol or diesel 100 series auto, depending on the budget.

Where about in Oz are you? (If you fill in your location details, it'll show up when you post) As a friend of a friend near Brisbane is looking to part ex his petrol land cruiser, I'm told its in great nick and has 230,000Km on the clock, but I don't know if it's a 100 or 105, or any further details. It just came up in conversation last night.

I was reading about some people in Africa in the dunes using a turboed 4.2d in a troopy fully loaded cant remember the weight of it now. they were saying that in the sand very hard conditions there troopy was the same on fuel as the petrols maybe a k better. so i dont think it would make must difference in the ruff stuff. my farther in laws petrol was crap on fuel in the dunes when we went to MOZ but the whole trip with a trailer averaged 17mpg and the trailer was alot narrower then the car so was dragged through the sand making its own rut in the middle.
Stu

Scott... you fancy bringing the old sub tank back in the hand luggage :lol:

Scott... you fancy bringing the old sub tank back in the hand luggage :lol:
I would of if I could, but airlines get a bit twitchy over things like empty used petrol tanks for some reason. :eusa-naughty:

Currently the pound is strong against the dollar, a good time to look at importing a new tank from Oz? :icon-twisted:

Not sure what a new 50L sub tank would cost? Shouldn't be any issues freighting that. Wonder if they're still available? My old one went in the bin, as they're not worth anything over here. :angry-screaming:

The 100 was available in different versions depending on sales area
Mine is a FZJ 100 IFS 4,5l Petrol Build year 2007

Designation

Engine

Power

Torque

Availability
HZJ105
1HZ 4.2 L diesel I6
96 kW (131 PS; 129 hp) at 3,800 rpm
271 N·m (200 lb·ft) at 2,200 rpm
Africa, Asia, Australia, Middle East, South America
FZJ105
1FZ-FE 4.5 L petrol I6
158 kW (215 PS; 212 hp) at 4,600 rpm
373 N·m (275 lb·ft) at 3,200 rpm
Africa, Asia, Australia, Middle East, South America
FZJ100
1FZ-FE 4.5 L petrol I6
158 kW (215 PS; 212 hp) at 4,600 rpm
373 N·m (275 lb·ft) at 3,200 rpm
Middle East
UZJ100
2UZ-FE 4.7 L petrol V8
170 kW (231 PS; 228 hp) at 4,800 rpm
410 N·m (302 lb·ft) at 3,400 rpm
Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, Japan, Middle East, North America, UK
HDJ100[SUP]1[/SUP]
1HD-T 4.2 L turbodiesel I6
123 kW (167 PS; 165 hp) at 3,600 rpm
352 N·m (260 lb·ft) at 2,000 rpm
Africa, South America
HDJ100[SUP]2[/SUP]
1HD-FTE 4.2 L turbodiesel I6
150 kW (204 PS; 201 hp) at 3,400 rpm
430 N·m (317 lb·ft) at 1,400 rpm
Australia*, Europe, Japan, UK, New Zealand.

Last edited:
I would of if I could, but airlines get a bit twitchy over things like empty used petrol tanks for some reason. :eusa-naughty:

Currently the pound is strong against the dollar, a good time to look at importing a new tank from Oz? :icon-twisted:

Not sure what a new 50L sub tank would cost? Shouldn't be any issues freighting that. Wonder if they're still available? My old one went in the bin, as they're not worth anything over here. :angry-screaming:
Hi Scott yeah standard sub tanks no one wants them here as everyone wants long range ones, Go to a gas conversion place and they'd probably give it to you..
I just picked up a 105 petrol and although done a tank in it I had to disconnect battery to fit aux battery and Grrrr lost my k's. I don't thinkits going to be anything to write home about but will let you know of mileage when I can

My V8 4.7 does about 16 MPG which is fine as I only do short distances .
The whole Miles per gallon versus oil burners , versus eco cars .. etc

Its what you want and are happy with

IE if your tour the country then a oil burner will be best
if you live local and to a 2 mile school trip everyday a Massive petrol engine vehicle isn't going to make any difference

I have just bout a V8 4.7 and I do very little miles , all local about 20 miles a week MAX ! so owning a V8 makes sense

Does anyone know how the newer auto box (and it's integrated ecu control with the engine) affects fuel economy for the 4.7 V8?

All the "official" numbers I've seen (Parkers, Autotrader etc) are exactly the same regardless of model year and I'm kind of guessing that can't be wholly true. Can anyone shed any light on this? Are the newer 5speeds a little more economical?

Thanks

Back