Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel efficient auto gear box !

Garage
Hi there!

I know we have talked about fuel efficiency before, but since I got my new (2006 model) VX 100 LS (Amazon) with the 5 speed Auto box I have done 5000 km and notice a great change in fuel consumption :dance: ....I did some comparisons...

My 2001 4,2 TDI are very steadily doing between 19-22 miles/gallon. I had this from new and now we have 415.000 km on the clock. It´s rolling on 295/75-16 standard rims

My 2006 4,2 TDI are very steadily doing between 28-31 miles/gallon :clap:............. it´s wearing standard tires/rims.

I did a test of 100 km driving 30km highway and the rest on country side and village roads, being really quiet with my right foot. And the result was 36,7 miles/gallon...now thats pretty wild considering that the engine is "almost" identical! I believe the secret must be the new gearbox?

It´s quite amazing that after driving 13 years in the 2001, I get worried (in the 2006) when I pass 600km on a full tank, even though the gauge shows heeps of fuel ....some part of the simple instinctively working brain believes we are going dry :eusa-shhh:

I can tell you that in Denmark the 2001 model is rated to 22,32 miles/gallon -and the 2006 is rated to 26,55 miles/gallon in the Toyota brochures ...

Does anyone have the same experience ? Is it possible to swap gear box if you like get the 5-speed in an older model?

Until now I have poured 59.000 GP into the tank of The Grey Eminence, so cutting 20-30% of the fuel cost does make sence :icon-cool:

Greetings from Northern Denmark

I can only compare my 1995/80 24v diesel Landcruiser with my 2004/100 and the 100 is at least as efficient returning over 30 mpg on a run I must do an exact test on the next long run.

... Is it possible to swap gear box if you like get the 5-speed in an older model?...
Not that easy to swap, as you would also need the ECU and the loom.
There are quite a few changes which came at the same time as the 5-sp box:
Engine mechanical, turbo control, intake shutter (x2)
IP-control - different programming
ECT (gearbox) ECU and Engine ECU were combined into one unit
Instrument panel - with different signals from the ECU
Differentials ratio

i did run the 2000 engine and 4-sp box in the 2004, with the 2004 ECU, and it kind of worked for the engine, but the auto box was manual, with only three gears (was it 1-3-4, or 2-3-4?)

Hi Lars

Yes I have the same 5sp auto box as yours. Very pleased with it. I have very little experience of the 4 sp box. My 80 is a manual.

Years ago autos were dreaded gas guzzlers but I think auto box design now in most cars is as efficient as their manual equivalents even though these manuals have 5-6 gears. Perhaps there has been improvements to other parts of auto gearboxes as well as just adding more gears ?

Yes Frank, I believe the Auto box design is something like "easy flow" ...freely translated from danish ;-) ...which means that they have deminished transmission loss of power....

uHu, So you lost the 2000 ECU? ...you did not try to match the 2000 engine and the 2004 GB? ....

Would you suggest that I can match my 2003 engine/ECU with my 2001 car? I do have the wiring as well....I am in doubt about the matching of immobilizer and the ECU?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
uHu, So you lost the 2000 ECU? ...you did not try to match the 2000 engine and the 2004 GB? ....
I did not try that, but I think it would have been OK, at least in the 2004 body with the ECU and loom, and of course the connected pieces like instruments and immobilizer. The ECU would have to be tricked a bit tho', depending on which intake shutter and turbo you use. The immobilizer I think you could get around, if you'd be ok without it.
Better read a bit on LCool before going ahead...

PS: I didn't loose the ECU, I just had to put the engine, gearbox and one axle from the 2000 into the 2004 in order to license it without paying taxes. That way I had only changed the frame (and VIN), and not imported a new car, according to customs regulations. The car tax in Norway, and in Denmark I understand, is very high -- more than 200% on a big polluting guzzler, so I saved about 20 k £ on putting in the old parts for registration purposes.

Wholesale Automatic Transmissions make standalone systems for gear boxes. I havent read to much about it, but as far is I understood, you can shovel this into any Land Cruiser and it should work. Their latest standalone box is the AB60F. A six speed unit, usually found in Toyota Tundra, Sequena and Land Cruiser 200.
I don't know anything about price or availability.
I'm not allowed to send links yet, but search for : Wholesale Automatic Transmissons Toyota 6 Speed AB60 Standalone Transmission Computer

Back