Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel Filter warning light

Edson Swart

Country Flag
angola
Hi there.
I have a Toyota Landcruiser Gxr V8 2014 and my problem is that even replacing the fuel filter, the light indicator on dashboard appears, I have reset it several times, it disappears and after a short time it appears again. Any idea? Can someone help me? This is the first time i have this.

Could it be a faulty or loose water sensor on the filter? There should be a plug somewhere for it.

The switch should just be a float, no? If you can unscrew the bottom off the filter you should be able to operate the float by hand and have someone watch the dashboard. The 200 is a world apart from the older models so Mr T may have unnecessarily over engineered this, but I can't think why they'd do that. Water collects, float rises, light comes on....

The switch should just be a float, no? If you can unscrew the bottom off the filter you should be able to operate the float by hand and have someone watch the dashboard. The 200 is a world apart from the older models so Mr T may have unnecessarily over engineered this, but I can't think why they'd do that. Water collects, float rises, light comes on....

Lot's of WIF sensors are way more complex now and measure the resistance of the fuel and can detect small traces of water rather than waiting for it to collect in a pool at the bottom of the filter ......by the time it's doing this a lot of modern common rail systems would already be suffering damage caused by water and corrosion .
To give you an idea -
One brand of engine we used was so sensitive that if injectors were removed for any reason they had to be kept in a fuel filled air tight environment even if only out for a matter of hours . This was the case even if the work was being carried out in a workshop .....often it was carried out under conditions far less ideal .

Crikey. Give me an 80 any day.

can anyone tell me after resetting the light and you head to the servo to fill up it only takes 95 litres to fill up instead of 120 or more litres? is there a lift pump in the sub tank or main tank to suck the fuel across ? Toyota don't seem to be able to tell me whats happening

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Check the other thread relating to fuel warning light. I've posted an explanation there. It's probably a fault in the plug and socket on top of the mail tank which supplies the transfer pump.

Back