Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel flap (again)

cjb80

Country Flag
australia
So my next job is to get the fuel filler flap to open, using the pull on the dash.
The previous owner attached a wire, that can be pulled when you open the back door..
Going in behind the housing in the rear, I can see the cable is attached... However the mechanism itself is loose and can rotate.. I assume it should be fixed, so there's no movement which will allow the release cable to operate correctly? But I can't see where the fixings should be ???

1621864955991.png

Hey not sure from the picture whats going on there. With age and use the wire gets loose and expands and so its a common issue easily remedied. For mine like most I added and lodged something at the end to keep ball further out and in doing so the tension became good as new to open the fuel hatch.

That's what it looks like i'm planning doing, if I can find some lead shot lying around...

the twisted wire you can see is the "fix" the previous owner added... the wire stretches to behind the back seat and you just pull it to open the flap.. ingenious(?) but a pain in the backside.

I'm thinking of replacing the whole part - 77037-12050 it that doesn't work.

Working in the dark, the fkn cable has also come away from the pull under the dash and I couldnt see properly to clip it back in :rage: --- I miss the long light evenings in the northern hemisphere!

Chris

Reactions: Bas
I also found the cover for the release mechanism in the bottom of the well... maybe this will stop if rotating when pulled..
1621946696313.png

Finally I'm looking for the part number for the release pull under the dash, if anyones know it? - or a diagram of how the cable fits, as I've read somewhere if can be "stretched" to provide more leverage?

You mean something like this?
Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 13.58.35.jpg

That looks like the one - Cheers !!! although it does say for 100 series or Surf when i google it?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
just done cross ref and it shows 80 series only

Cheers mate - I'm on to my local Toyota dealer now - all the ones online cost more for postage than the part!!

well just check it with them. I just did a general search as i didnt have your specific vehicle data

I've given them VIN and part numbers - they'll be back to me in the morning :)

The lead shot trick on the end of the cable is the bomb... but still ordered a new release mechanism!

Back