Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel Gauge, or not it seems

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
The latest annoyance my truck has presented (since the oil gauge locked itself at appx. 0lb) is the fuel gauge, which for 10 years or so since getting the truck has worked, to its own measures admittedly, rushing down to 1/2 when it's still 3/4 then crawling the rest, but it worked and the warning light used to come on with about 25km to go (don't ask how I know :eusa-naughty:) which was very useful.

Now it reads 1/2, whether full, empty or anywhere in between.

OK, I know I have to start trouble-shooting by checking the resistance in the tank sender then working my way forwards to the panel gauge indicator, but has anyone else had this problem?

As it's likely to be the tank sender (moving parts wearing out is assumed) are these still available from Mr T? Should I go OEM (if yes) or will an aftermarket unit be available and worth getting?

Lots of questions, sorry. But I'm trying not to re-invent the wheel here, if someone's had the same experiences.

Not happy, it's a PITA not having a fuel gauge. :cry:

You could use the odometer to make a judgement call on remaining distance for a known quantity of fuel :)

Hi Clive,
The sender in my bj46 had the same symptoms like yours.
The sender unit had rusted and the arm with the floater was seized.
A few squirts of wd40 and manually working the arm put everything back in working order. This was 3 years ago and it still performs flawlessly.
The sender unit is accessible through a little hatch under the rear seat.
Good luck!
Wout

Thanks Wout,

it will be the starting point of investigations. I've had it out before to check the scavenger pipe filter, and TBH everything in there looked like new. Still, if it's sticking for whatever reason, I should be able to unstick it!

So Dave, thank you kindly for the info.

If I've understood correctly, the sender part can be obtained from Mr T separate from the rest of the assembly, part no 83320.

Great, I'll get one ordered after I've checked out the condition of mine inside. Like I said, all looked well when I inspected it about 18 months ago, even the filter looked like new.

We'll see when I get the coils exposed.

Thanks mate:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It all comes as one piece Clive. The oval plate on the top of the tank has the complete assemble hanging from it. So includes the level sender/low fuel sensor for the light/the fuel pickup and return and the connector plugs. As mentioned in my thread, the only thing missing is the fuel filter mesh. Which brings me to claims that injection cleaner does nothing. I did give the filter a 'manual' clean but did not go overboard as I was ordering a new one, given the state of the filter I guessed the rest of the system might be 'gunky' (technical term), so I added injection cleaner to the tank. I was annoyed that this simple filter was missing from the new sender when it arrived but, I was pleasantly surprised to see how clean the filter had become during the couple of weeks of using the additive.

regards

Dave

While refurbishing my 80 having stripped the interior out I took the liberty to inspect my fuel sender unit. Wasn't looking great at all. Cleaned it up best in stages with fuel & air. It seems better now but wanted to change the filter for new but couldn't find one here.

IMG_2473.jpg IMG_2477.jpg IMG_2482.jpg IMG_2487.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Dave and Dervis,
haven't had time to look at it yet, but I will, one day.

Thanks for all the info, looks like I'll have to get a new unit complete then.

Is it not possible to at least attempt cleaning the old unit or does the wire wear through?

I'll have a good go at reviving the old one Frank, but I just haven't had time to pull it out to have a look yet.

The 'sweeper' arm runs up and down it and wears it away. As soon as one strand breaks the resistance starts to alter and give erroneous readings. Eventually the arm picks up more of the windings and they break and it all goes a bit Pete Tong.

regards

Dave

Sounds logical, especially as mine is reading a steady half way irrespective of full or empty. I'm guessing the coils have worn through then bunched up as they become loose on the winding, jamming the sweeper pick-up.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fuel-gauge-fault-found.370046/

This is a thread I started on 'MUD', it was specifically about a fault similar to yours Clive, there are pictures of the sweeper arm and the damaged windings. Mine read empty and then suddenly jumped to full after filling, I thought it had just jammed, a few miles later it started to drop and stick again, you can see why.

regards

Dave

Thanks Dave. Actually, I've already read your MUD threads through and through, before you posting the above, all excellent stuff mate, thanks.

Have you had any joy on this Clive? I had very similar symptoms to yours. I replaced the sender unit with a known good one - ½ a result - the gauge never goes higher than 3/4 now but does read below - although sometimes it sticks. Temp gauge often has moments of stickiness too!

Any body had the gauges refurbed?

Have you had any joy on this Clive? I had very similar symptoms to yours. I replaced the sender unit with a known good one - ½ a result - the gauge never goes higher than 3/4 now but does read below - although sometimes it sticks. Temp gauge often has moments of stickiness too!

Any body had the gauges refurbed?

Funnily enough Roger, I filled the tank the other day and went offroading with Shayne and Chas from the forum (they are visiting us in Romania at the moment) and after a good shake-up over some rough tracks, it's come back to life!

It was probably a mechanical problem, a sticking pivot on the float arm or similar, but its been fine since.

I'll be posting again if it sticks again, I was all set to pull it out this weekend but didn't have to bother.

Funnily enough Roger, I filled the tank the other day and went offroading with Shayne and Chas from the forum (they are visiting us in Romania at the moment) and after a good shake-up over some rough tracks, it's come back to life!

It was probably a mechanical problem, a sticking pivot on the float arm or similar, but its been fine since.

I'll be posting again if it sticks again, I was all set to pull it out this weekend but didn't have to bother.

Well the reprieve was short-lived! It's back to reading 1/2 tank, irrespective.

As Julian T suggested, it's odo readings until I get around to sorting this out.

Last edited:
Running in stereo Clive, I was off roading at Walters arena this weekend, gauge worked a few times then reverted back to only reading when half full or below (better this way than the other I guess)

Sorry to hear that Rog,

It's a pain, because I don't know for sure that it's the sender.

Knowing my luck, I'll go and buy one then find a faulty wire...

Back