Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel heating element

Kimbo

Country Flag
czech_republic
New
Hi folks.

Im seeking some advice, as I recently installed a new fuel filter assembly on my 2009 HZJ 78. Everything is good, but the new filter has a heating element, which is ideal for the location where I live at this time of year. Only problem is, I can't find any wiring diagram to illustrate where to plug the heating element into (the original fuel filter had no heating element, the new replacement is out of the V8 and 100 series I believe). Its a simple two prong plug, and my other question is if I have to jimmy up a connection, it should be to a relay only on startup (like glowplugs?), or should the heating element be running all the time. Would appreciate any insight into this... its -12 here today!

I would run it through a suitably rated relay operated by a thermostat that cuts in at whatever temperature you feel a need for it. If you really need it that is. It would need to run all the time if you really need it. Maybe you could also fit a switch to manually switch it on via the thermostat. Not sure if it earths through the metalwork or is isolated. If the latter, one of the wires in the connector would need to be earthed and the other is your positive. Rate the wiring at the same size or greater than that which is connected and fuse at the battery if that’s where you pick the feed up from. Separately fuse the Control corcuit (to the relay coil) at something like 5A or thereabouts and use 5A wire. You could pick a live up for the Control circuit from a switched live like the radio or fag lighter socket inside in which case use wire rated to that fuse.

All depends if you really need it.

Sometimes there’s spare plugs in the loom taped a little way back. Sounds like you haven’t found anything though.

Back