Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

fuel pipe size on lc90

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
I MAY CHANGE MY RUBBER FUEL LINES IF MY FUEL FILTER CHANGE DONT WORK
For members asking why change fuel hoses its because my car struggles to fire up from the key so may have air getting in .

Q! i have after market fuel pipes of very good quality but does a mm in size make a difference to the fuel flow and will it affect my lc performance.

let me explain what I mean.
if i take the fuel hose from the primer to the injection pump and say it was 7mm but i replace with 6mm or 8mm will it make a difference to my car.

i may sound stupid but want to understand how things work and for other beginners who just dont no how to solve problems .

two small rubber hose pipes from the fuel tank from MR T cost £21 so imagine how much it will cost to replace all hose pipes and still the problem is still there then may have only cost £5 ~10 for aftermarket pipes then if it solves the problem then up to you if you wanna phone MR T for correct pipes.

HOPE THIS HELPS NEW MEMBERS OR WEEKEND WARRIORS TO UNDERSTAND .

p. s dont forget my question.

I don't think that a small variation in fuel pipe size will affect the performance at all.

I replaced the corroded fuel pipes on my 1998 '95' with copper pipes - 10mm for the diesel feed and 8mm for the Spill Return. The Spill pipe would have been better at 6mm but the microbore central heating pipes were fine.

DSCN3260_zpsc552f72c.jpg

I didn't go all the way to the filter though as the original pipes were fine under the plastic under-trays.

DSCN3258_zps3d21da7e.jpg

Its been fine since.

I found the best way to shape the copper was to carefully remove the original and then bend the copper along side it - cable-tying it as I went. That worked pretty well :thumbup:.

DSCN3253_zpsdb10fc6c.jpg

The bit over the back axle leading to the diesel tank was a bit more 'interesting', but patience got me there in the end. The rubber pipes at the tank were replaced as well (this was before I replaced the fuel pick-up in the tank).

DSCN3254_zps04655075.jpg

Well worth doing if the pipes are becoming porous.

Others use rubber pipe and just clip it alongside the original for support :icon-wink:.

Bob.

jesus bob ur only missing a few rads there and got a central heating system, but superb job and yes you have answed my question also and thanks for the pics as just shows that even a home made custom job can work just as well.

I cant see a 1 or 2mm making a noticable difference tbh :)

I haven't needed to do it on the Toyota, but I replaced the whole lot on my old Isuzu with rubber hose. 10mm/8mm if I remember right. As Bob suggests I just cable tied the rubber hoses to the existing metal hoses. (I had to replace the entire tank too as the Isuzu doesn't have a replaceable fuel pick-up like the Toyota does.)

I haven't needed to do it on the Toyota, but I replaced the whole lot on my old Isuzu with rubber hose. 10mm/8mm if I remember right. As Bob suggests I just cable tied the rubber hoses to the existing metal hoses. (I had to replace the entire tank too as the Isuzu doesn't have a replaceable fuel pick-up like the Toyota does.)

Thanks dave im just doing things bit by bit so see if things make a difference if not goto next phase.
As all landcruisers are good for many years i have never had any problem with my engine only had to replace the alternator as that was full of muddy water from going off rd.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tony

My own view is that there is no problem going 1 mm or more extra but I would not like to go 1 mm below original in the feed hose - its a long way from tank to filter etc so the less resistance the better.
By pure co-incidence I priced the Fuel supply pipe from Mt T during the week as mine is starting to look a bit ropey after 19 years and a small section was replaced at some stage with what looks like garden hose!!
Alternatively good quality fuel hose will do the job just as well as that is what I used on 'Betsy' - my previous 95 when the pipe started to weep.
I was expecting a crazy price - but to my amazement €78.00. I will drop the tank and have a good check on everything when I am at it. Funnily enough the return pipe looks perfect.

On a totally different matter - I have never liked the positioning of the alternator on the 90/95's - for an offroad vehicle I would prefer it situated much higher up as any depth of water and it is submerged.
Has anybody ever swapped its location to the airco pump brackets, there is plenty of room there and with some minor fabrication it looks feasible ?.
I never use the airco here anyway - this is Ireland!!

Regards

Bill

Tony

My own view is that there is no problem going 1 mm or more extra but I would not like to go 1 mm below original in the feed hose - its a long way from tank to filter etc so the less resistance the better.
By pure co-incidence I priced the Fuel supply pipe from Mt T during the week as mine is starting to look a bit ropey after 19 years and a small section was replaced at some stage with what looks like garden hose!!
Alternatively good quality fuel hose will do the job just as well as that is what I used on 'Betsy' - my previous 95 when the pipe started to weep.
I was expecting a crazy price - but to my amazement €78.00. I will drop the tank and have a good check on everything when I am at it. Funnily enough the return pipe looks perfect.

On a totally different matter - I have never liked the positioning of the alternator on the 90/95's - for an offroad vehicle I would prefer it situated much higher up as any depth of water and it is submerged.
Has anybody ever swapped its location to the airco pump brackets, there is plenty of room there and with some minor fabrication it looks feasible ?.
I never use the airco here anyway - this is Ireland!!

Regards

Bill

Thanks for you input bill and had a lot of input from other members and been told to use 8mm for return and 10mm for flow pipe.

Back