Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel primer?

Dave S

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys

Another issue with my land cruiser..

So it broke down, turned out engine wasn't getting any fuel.. when I hand prime it, it gets nice and hard and runs for a few minutes until l the filter empties and stalls..

Taking the pipes off the filters, there is no pressure coming from the pick up pipe or no suction coming from the filter outlet?

So I've had the sender out of the tank and the sock is fine

And in the picture, are these the lift pumps?.. there are two of them between the 2 tanks or is the FIP responsible for dragging the fuel all the way up from the tanks

It's a 2007 lc 105 4.2 diesel with the duel fuel tanks

Thanks

Dave

20170723_135924.jpg

I would think there is a lift pump inside the injector pump. There is on earlier models. If there is a leak on the lift pipe between injector pump and tank air will be sucked in and the engine will cut out. So best to check the lift pipe from the injector pump through the filter assy down to the tank and also make sure the tank breather/s are not blocked. You could run a pipe from the filter inlet to a can with fuel in and see if the engine runs. This would rule out a faulty lift pump and also prove the problem was somewhere downstream from the filter inlet. Some diesel may be slightly leaking out of an air leak so I would look for the slightest of damp patches on the system. i assume the main filter is newish.

Thanks for the input.. still no joy!!.. I can hand prime straight from the can though the filter but as soon as the filters empty again it cuts out..

I really dont need to be changing an fip right now!

While the pump works at high pressure its not set to deliver the volume you will by hand priming , a leak doesn't have to leak out , it could be at the top of a pipe curve letting air in and fuel drop back to the tank as the pipework slowly empties at tickover .

A Collie with a similar problem here which might prove helpful on the road to diagnoses ? https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/lc-90-kzte-non-runner.148328/

Possibly a leak in the fuel primer/filter? I've not tried this on this exact item but if you remove the fuel inlet to the primer and pump it does the primer button stay down or do you get a slurping sucking noise from anywhere? This works on other pumps and should stop the button coming up if valves are good and there is no split in the rubber etc.

Back