Fuel Tank adjustment

Olazz Jun 10, 2018

1. Olazz

Olazz Well-Known Member I am in zimbabwe

Map
    Guys,

I have a fuel tank that I want to shorten and reduce from 600l to 400l. This will entail cutting and removing a portion of the existing fuel tank.

Does anyone know of who or where I could have this job undertaken?

Help much appreciated

2. Chris

Chris Super Moderator Supporter I am in europe

Garage:
    Map
    I don't, but having looked at these sorts of jobs, It might be simpler (and cheaper) to either replace the tank or have one made from scratch. I know they're big tanks, but I'd' guess getting a 400 L tank of a scrapper wouldn't be that hard would it?
    Welding a tank that's had fuel in it is not only hazardous so needs decontamination but really you need the end taking off, shortening and the end putting back on. Slicing a bit out (cut and shut) is a tonne of work and not easy given the thinness of the metal. Maybe butyl would be very expensive I don't know. Certainly worth looking at.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAN-400-...987695?hash=item4b023b4bef:g:EQQAAOSwkNZUdxK5

3. kingtom

kingtom Well-Known Member I am in uk

Map
  4. Olazz

Olazz Well-Known Member I am in zimbabwe

Map
    Thanks C J, but were it that simple! I've tried in vain to get someone to make a tank to the spec and design that I need as it is not a standard D shape, but needs to skirt around a few chassis protrusions. Of the 5 firms I tried, only 1 bothered to respond despite several calls and emails, and he started with a long drawn-in breath... "that's gonna be expensive mate"; when I gave him size and shape he quoted £2500...I think not!

Thanks bud I'll give them a call and see.

5. stumog

stumog Well-Known Member I am in england

Map
    I used to use arrow radiators in Bristol for this type of work. Always please with there work.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter