Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel ?

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Hi folks. Wifey came home last night after her sex, sorry, Sax lesson saying she's made a funny noise.......????? Any more details hun? It sort of went dlrdlrdlrdlr....ok, any vibration? Dont think so .
So, took it out for thrash and at 3000rpm and 3600rpm I'm getting what appears to be fuel starvation, engine shudders and carry's on. I got it in all gears. My guess would be fuel pick up strainer in the main tank or fuel filter. I have a spare fuel filter in the garage and I think the strainer in the tank is washable?
Anyway, back to the noise. I managed to get it once, under load. It's sort of like a light fast hammering likeva speedy woodpecker, lasts for a couple of seconds, and you can feel some sort of vibration on the go pedal. It happened just as I changed from 1 to 2. Drive train? Clutch? It's an odd one for sure. Road was straight to no turning of wheel and all lockers are off.
Any idea's?

Steve, the strainer is washable and nice to use an air gun too for best results. Not a hard job maybe start with when you changed the fuel filter last?
Check all fuel lines.
Then undo the fuel line from the lift pump to the fuel pump and upon pressing the top see how the flow is. This may determine the condition of the fuel line/filters.

It's sort of like a light fast hammering likeva speedy woodpecker, lasts for a couple of seconds, and you can feel some sort of vibration on the go pedal.

Get underneath her and start yanking at things to see if anything's loose could be a good starting point.

Presumably you're not able to replicate the conditions under which it happens???

Get underneath her and start yanking at things to see if anything's loose could be a good starting point.

Presumably you're not able to replicate the conditions under which it happens???
No it's just occasionally under load. I initially thought the cooling fan was catching, there is evidence of it catching one time.
My EGT temps got really hot when giving it beans in 3rd...set the alarm off at 600 and something degrees! (Max boost)
Dropped off quickly when driven normally.

Steve, the strainer is washable and nice to use an air gun too for best results. Not a hard job maybe start with when you changed the fuel filter last?
Check all fuel lines.
Then undo the fuel line from the lift pump to the fuel pump and upon pressing the top see how the flow is. This may determine the condition of the fuel line/filters.
I think a couple of years ago, just after I bought it.
Need to do timing belt too, just to be sure.
I'll have a look at strainer on Sunday if i have time after work! .....high season now and everyone coming out on holidays!

If EGT's are high then I would say it's unlikely to be fuel starvation, it's usually over fuelling that causes that on diesels.
My money's on something mechanical but, as usual, it's very hard to diagnose a noise without hearing it and sometimes not much easier when you can!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
EGT is only high when its having the nuts ripped out of it on full boost, or on a massive hill with the trailer attached

Usual suspects are brakes, steering rod ends. Getting underneath always a good idea to prod and pull at things. Noise is always hard to define and vibrations flow through the truck. It may be something come loose.

EGT is only high when its having the nuts ripped out of it on full boost, or on a massive hill with the trailer attached

That's my point. It's such situations that require max fuelling so if it can deliver fuel then, it's unlikely the flow to the IP is restricted by a blocked filter or strainer. I suffered a partially blocked filter some years ago after using some locally produced Bio diesel for a while and the fuel starvation that resulted brought on the engine stutter that remained and got steadily worse until the filter was changed.

Usual suspects are brakes, steering rod ends. Getting underneath always a good idea to prod and pull at things. Noise is always hard to define and vibrations flow through the truck. It may be something come loose.
I'll have a poke about tomorrow thanks

My experience when I was tweaking my pump was that over fuelling was the cause of overheating at high revs or high loads caused by long hills with or without trailer. When I turned it down, EGTs went back to normal, power the same. Best check cooling system too. Where’s your inter cooler, I forget ..... in front or on top ?

In Front for the intercooler. It never overheats engine wise but it has this engine management stuff on where you can see EGT, coolant, oil pressure & temp + other stuff.
It is possible its over fueled though. It doesn't seem as quick as yours but it probably weighs 30% more without the trailer

its not the turbo starting to fail is it? at least you have an intercooler to catch the bits if it lets go

I was at the point of running out a while back, and got the same symptoms , Strange Vibrations right through the Truck , First thought it was front wheel bearings, But i could feel it through the Pedals /seat /floor everywhere basically... So cleaned the Tank strainer and filled it with Diesel and gradually every thing just went back to normal.... Were you on the point of running out or do you think its a blockage ?..

I was at the point of running out a while back, and got the same symptoms , Strange Vibrations right through the Truck , First thought it was front wheel bearings, But i could feel it through the Pedals /seat /floor everywhere basically... So cleaned the Tank strainer and filled it with Diesel and gradually every thing just went back to normal.... Were you on the point of running out or do you think its a blockage ?..
Madam had just filled it up, and put a few € in reserve tank too. Wasnt never empty at it only took 90€ worth.
However, in the 2 years I have had it, never checked the strainer, so I think new fuel filter and clean strainer 1st jobs.
As for the woodpecker?

EGR valves would be my call, if you have them. Like gravel being rattled in an empty beer can. Comes and went on mine after I took the tubes off.

The EGR valves are easy to identify if you have them

Here on post #11

The EGR valves are easy to identify if you have them

Here on post #11

Smashing, I'll take a look when we get back from work

Back