Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gaffer tape

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Ross Lowell, founder of Lowel-Light and the creator of gaffer tape, dead at 92.
Photographer, cinematographer, Lowel-Light founder and creator of gaffer tape Ross Lowell died on February 15 at the age of 92, according to PDN. Lowell lived in Pound Ridge, New York, at the time of his passing, leaving behind his wife Marilyn Shapiro-Lowell and four children.

He changed the world for theater technicians, I must have used at least a million miles of Gaffer tape in my 36 years of theater. Thank you Ross Lowell.

Thanks Chas for bring this to our notice.

G.

Now also called Duck tape I believe. Always have a couple of rolls in the garage and one in the car. Even carry one in the bag on the back of the bike. A handy addition to a first aid kit too!

He changed the world for theater technicians, I must have used at least a million miles of Gaffer tape in my 36 years of theater. Thank you Ross Lowell.

G.

Ditto, did 10 years on the road as a tech with a touring theatre group, now just a couple of shows a year but gaff tape is the most important thing you could have! Amazingly versatile

Yes it is also called Duct tape. Duck is just well known brand name.
The “Gorrilla” branded stuff is supposed to be very good and will even stick to wet surfaces although I’ve not tried any.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Next has to battery powered tools.

90% of sets would never go up in the half the time they do if it wasn't for battery powered tools. Gone the days of pump screw drivers, phew :)

G.

90% of sets would never go up in the half the time they do if it wasn't for battery powered tools. Gone the days of pump screw drivers, phew :)

G.
+1 on that. Very useful for thieves also unfortunately. At the Bike show a few years back I was looking at expensive hardened chain/lock combinations and the guy on the stand said a cordless angle grinder with cutting disc will cut through any chain in seconds. Wouldn’t be without my cordless impact driver now though.

Gorilla Tape have held my cables very well. Mega sticky.

G.

IMG_20190223_134410505_HDR.jpg

Duct tape is technically not the same, but as gaffers tape work well, it's being used as duct tape.

Kate Bush has a song saying: "Am I suspended in gaffa?"

You can tell the quality of a tradesman's work by the wrinkles in the gaffer tape. lol

Where would Land Rovers be without Gaffa tape and cable ties…?

Yes it is also called Duct tape. Duck is just well known brand name.
The “Gorrilla” branded stuff is supposed to be very good and will even stick to wet surfaces although I’ve not tried any.

Gorrila tape is another level.i use it a fair bit.

I don't know what we would have done without Gaffa. Got you beat Gary, I did 41 years in various theatres mainly the Royal Opera House but most of the West End ones, my first show was Hair at the Shaftesbury Theatre, showing my age there.

Chas, thanks for making me feel not so old :)
:lol:
Actually I've just remembered my first show wasn't Hair, it was Cabaret at The Palace Theatre, would have been about 1967/8 I think.

G.
Ah, the Stanley Yankee. .
Beating myself over the head with the thing would be less painful than trying to put screws in with it..

Ah, the Stanley Yankee. .
Beating myself over the head with the thing would be less painful than trying to put screws in with it..
All was well if you used those new fangled ‘pozidrive’ screws but slot heads…ouch!!

Last edited:
:lol:
Actually I've just remembered my first show wasn't Hair, it was Cabaret at The Palace Theatre, would have been about 1967/8 I think.

Palace Theatre was 1st West End theatre show I saw was there, Jesus Christ Super Star, I think 77/78 :)

G.
I still have a Yankee pump given to me by a props chippie after he bought a battery powered screwdriver saying "I won't need this now"

Back