Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Garmin MapSource

Navraj Singh

Garage
Hey guys,

I was not sure where to post this, so anyway....

I have an Oregon 300 and I just purchased and downloaded the City Navigator map for Europe. I have downloaded it straight to the SD card in the GPS.

I have checked and the download is complete. I am trying to open the map in MapSource but have been defeated. :roll: Is there anyone that can help??

Cheers

Hey Nav, I'm afraid I can't assist directly but found this review on Amazon.co.uk...

"HARDWARE
Oregon series feels sturdy yet light.
It is a beautiful device from a hardware standpoint.

SOFTWARE
We expect a modern GPS to do more than provide GPS or UTM coordinates. In 2010, there is a high expectation of convenient map management. Unfortunately, despite years of user criticism on numerous websites, the company still fails to improve its portfolio of applications to install (MapInstall and MapManager), navigate topographic maps (BaseCamp), route planning (RoadTrip) and training software (AntAgent). Will someone please stop this madness and integrate these features into a comprehensive Garmin application?

A typical outdoor enthusiast will purchase several topographic and road maps from different DVDs or MicroSD card.

NUMEROUS HURDLES:
-frustrating map unlocking system which fails to recognize purchased maps once some software component is upgraded.
-requires arcane Unit ID, Serial Number and Product Key/Coupon Code.
-USB map transfer is excrutiatingly slow, therefore, most efficient method is MicroSD card management...
-However, this faster alternative method requires micromanagement of filenames with arcane syntax conventions (gmapbmp.img, gmpapprom.img, gmapsupp.img) described on semi-obscure wikipedia websites.

BOTTOMLINE
-Garmin designed a beautiful GPS device that fail to live to its potential because of poor map management software.
-If all you need are coordinates to pinpoint your location on a paper map, this device is good yet way overpriced for its intended purpose.
-If you travel a lot and plan to install numerous topographic and road maps, expect to waste several hours managing maps, googling and contacting customer support."

Seems to back up the problems you are having but that they are 'sortoutable'...

It looks a great little unit - let us know how you go on...

Cheers

Navraj Singh said:
Hey guys,

I was not sure where to post this, so anyway....

I have an Oregon 300 and I just purchased and downloaded the City Navigator map for Europe. I have downloaded it straight to the SD card in the GPS.

I have checked and the download is complete. I am trying to open the map in MapSource but have been defeated. :roll: Is there anyone that can help??

Cheers

What happens when you try open it??? Need some clues :ugeek:

Basically, I downloaded the map yesterday to the Micro SD card yesterday. Due to slow internet it went through the night and was complete by today morning. I checked the SD card and the file has come through. it includes
1. Europe 2010 30.gma
2. Europe 2010 30.img
3. Europe 2010 30.unl

When I try to open the map in Mapsource it says that the file is not a valid mapsource file. I have no idea how to operate the map on mapsource.

I do have some T4A maps on the GPS and they work fine.

It sounds like the file could be corrupt during the download.

Do you have a copy of mapsource on your computer to try them with? If the device says they are not valid, there's not much else you can try.

Can you try and download them again?
If it is a problem, I could download them for you, split them into lots of little files for you to download. While it is a pain, if there is any corruption, you need only download the small file which is corrupt and not the whole thing.

I was just going through the Garmin website and it seems that the download version and SD versions can not be used on the computer, so no planing can be done on these versions.
Only the CD/DVD version can be used with mapsource :evil:
This means that I have just wated 80GBP for no reason at all :evil: :evil: :evil:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you have not activated the maps, they might give you a refund. They can tell if the maps have been activated or not.

There are a lot of other places that have free (legal) maps for garmin which work on the device as well as mapsource. Have a scratch around on Google.

I'll find the link when I get home tonight. I have full EU and further east for free.

Disclaimer: Before men (butch women?) with shiny glasses storm into the office, these are free downloaded maps which are, AFAIK, created from open sources like OSM :ugeek:

Problem is that the Download version does not need to be unlocked as it is registered to the GPS before you can start the download.

I will really appreciate if you can send me the link for the maps. Will search on google as well.

Back