Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gday. 1987 Troopy trouble

Darren Olsen

hi all, I’ve had a 1987 4.0ltr diesel Troopy for years but it’s been neglected for quite a while. It’s not a daily driver and has sit in my shed for years. It’s not used regularly and sometimes only once a year so it’s starting to play up.

It has a problem where the batteries will continually drain. I googled it years ago and found an article relating back to a problem, with the wiring harness or similar?

Any info would be helpful :)

It's more than likely just stuffed batteries they don't like sitting around biggest killer of them

It's more than likely just stuffed batteries they don't like sitting around biggest killer of them

Definitely not the batteries. I’ve been through several new batteries over the years. They will be flat in a few days if left connected. It’s got a drain somewhere for sure.

OK if your not using the truck at the moment disconnect the power wire from alternator that goes to battery and see if it still drains if not will properly be a leaking diode in alternator, if it still drains then at least you have ruled out a fault with alternator, then I would look at any attached accessories attached, if you have an after market alarm system I would check this first and fan out from there

OK if your not using the truck at the moment disconnect the power wire from alternator that goes to battery and see if it still drains if not will properly be a leaking diode in alternator, if it still drains then at least you have ruled out a fault with alternator, then I would look at any attached accessories attached, if you have an after market alarm system I would check this first and fan out from there
Thanks mate I will do that. I had heard somewhere quite a while ago that a certain wiring harness or similar under bonnet was a cause of battery drain?? It also won’t turn off when the key is turned off so have to stall it...maybe I’m getting the two confused? Thanks again

Back