Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gday from up over if you're standing on your head

CeeKay

Country Flag
australia
Hi guys and gals (if you are one.. ). Nice to meet you, my name is Cliff
Just bought at great cost a one owner GXL 1996 HZJ80R . Lady owner, a schoolteacher. And yes I met her to be sure. I've been searching for a low km (230K) non-turbo 1HZ engine variant for ages, but most are over 400,000km here.

The vehicle is bog standard apart from having twin batteries fitted. She's never even had a roof rack on. The diff locks and twin tanks were standard. Oh yes, one slight modification is that she's fitted with exhaust extractors and 2 1/2" exhaust system, which makes a rather strange noise when accelerating in the diesel. And she'd handily just had a brand new injection pump fitted.

Why did I search for a 96-97 diesel Landcruiser? you may ask.. well.. My dad was a RN chief engineer who moved us to Australia when we were kids. He would always say "change the oil and filters every 5000km on a diesel and it will last 1 million miles" ( You might understand that I consider RN chief engineers as mechanical gods since i've seen what they are capable of, so obey all such edicts ). Getting close to retirement, i'd like my current vehicle to be my last ( that is..last at least 45 years with fastidious maintenance under very hard outback use..). However, I've discovered that he meant diesels like the Gardiners used in submarines and such - mechanical injected and naturally aspirated. My experience with computer controlled 24 valve 4 cylinder double overhead cam chrome bored direct injection turbocharged marvels has shown me that such engines are not likely to go anywhere near that far.

I'd decided to take the fuel hit with the less efficient (older) diesel in the interests of reliability and ease of repair when in remote parts of Australia. However on the 430km trip home ( including a 100km bit of a bush diversion doing rough track and slow crawls up sand dunes with the difflocks on just for fun ) from buying her I observed that she only used about half the 85 litre primary tank of fuel. Believing that the gauge was way off I topped her up at the petrol station and did the mileage calc. .... she's getting exactly 10.2l/100km. That's 27.6mpg (mixed 4WD/highway driving) in the language I understand. And that's amazing. And waaay better than the Isuzu diesel I just sold.

I live in The Coorong national park in South Australia and am involved in environmental studies, so she'll spend a lot of time on sand trails and coastal dunes. Previously I had an ex-army Landrover Defender with every gizmo on the planet fitted by the military. They are a mighty vehicle off road, but sadly are total rubbish traveling the long distances between towns here - as well as sucking up fuel like there was no tomorrow. I have no complaints about the Rover apart from that, since she needed very little maintenance. Also, Defenders are pretty collectible so I got a very good price for her.

I find myself trundling along with a stupid grin on my face now. I should have bought one of these ages ago.

I Like It gamma.jpg Cliff

Last edited:
Welcome along. 27 mpg, that's outrageous.

Looking forward to see how it develops. Lovely looking thing, not much chance of finding anything quite so tidy here anymore.

+1 for the welcome; as Chris says 10.2L/100km is an awesome figure... I've only seen it once with my 4Runner, and that was on the maiden journey of 500km as well... never seen it since, infact my average is 13.2L/100lm.

Looks really nice... where do you live so I can get it?! I guess it was an inland car rather than a coastal one? In NSW the country cars are often a bit more expensive, but don't suffer from the rust in the same way as a coastal car, but often have higher km's on them due to the tyranny of distance.

australia-flag-06.gif
Hi Cliff, Welcome to the forum, that's a good looking truck you've got there and I know what you mean about the stupid grin. :whistle:

Hi Cliff and welcome to a big bunch of grinning faces. [emoji4]
Cruisers do that to you, for years!

Great intro, great truck and looking forward to more. [emoji4]

Best wishes

Richard

Last edited:
G'day mate

Good to see another Ozzy here that loves his 80 :)

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome Cliff, that's a lovely looking 80 you've got there. I'm sure there'll be more than a few club members drooling over that........:icon-cool:

Hi Cliff, a warm welcome from a fellow HZJ 80 owner, complete with silly grin since 2006 when I bought my '95 GX....

No, there's no smell of burning rubber when you pull away at the lights, and no cricked necks with the staggering acceleration, but there's something about the HZ that has appeal, not sure what it is, but it has it :lol:

Your's looks like it's just come off the production line, my goodness, how clean and bright is that?

Sorry, simply can't believe 27 mpg, I think it must be kpg or miles per 10 lt or something, a typo, duff batteries in the calculator.... whatever....

I recon mine uses between 15 and 17 l/100km but I do a fair bit of low ratio off road almost every weekend, which is more time-related consumption than distance, which can't help too much...

I like the idea of headers to help it breathe. I do have a 62mm stainless zorst, close on 2 1/2" with a single box straight-through silencer which growls quite sweetly at times... but headers were almost the same price as the system, which put me off somewhat.

Also like the idea of a new injector pump, I wonder how much that set the po back? I'm sure mine would "tune" but I haven't a clue nor have I the brevity to "have a go" at messing it up completely :lol:. I'm frustrated that I can't find an old-fashioned diesel tuner, otherwise I'd get it checked and adjusted.

Mine was stock European spec, twin batteries standard to run the 24 Volt starter, is yours a 12 Volt starter then?

Looking forward to your LC adventures Cliff :thumbup:

Howdy Cliff, that sure is a great find! Neat looking and looks not abused! Good to have you on board

Back