Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gearbox confusion

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
The VIN plate on my 92 80 LC says A442F in the transmission section.

I thought the none solenoid boxes were A440F?

Were the early A442F boxes hydraulically controlled?

Apologies if this is a dumb question but I'm a little confused :?

Basically, my belief is that if you have an overdrive switch on the gear stick, its the A442F ie electronically controlled, however my knowledge on auto boxes is quite limited & I stand to be corrected!
Andy

Paul,
I think others have found the same thing - what was originally badged as the A440 was changed by Mr T in some cases to A442F and then subsequently a new gearbox came out which was also called the A442F but was no longer hydrualically controlled. Clear? I think Mr T's geeks were on strike or something when that naming exercise was done :roll:

I second what Andy is saying - O/D button = electronic control and is the conventional A442F. No O/D button is what was previously known as the A440F (and I think this gearbox also didn't have the viscous coupling in the t/case :?: Hence the CDL switch as standard - I stand to be corrected here!)

Cheers,

I'm pretty sure the early box's plated as A442F are really an A440F and not a half way house. AFAIK the FSM only documents those two and not the mysterious A442F without solenoids the plates would have us believe exist. Having had the pan off yours and seen the internals you do at least know you don't have solenoids and it's not just missing an OD button :lol:

Back