Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gearing up to own a 40

mrldcty

Country Flag
united_states
I'm in the process of making a deal locally for a nice original 1980 FJ40. I have been studying and watching videos on repairing and maintaining them in preparation for (hopefully soon) owning one. I'm a reasonably adept mechanic, especially on old(ish) school stuff. I run my own race car and work on my own truck a bit. I plan to flat tow the 40 to various destinations and run it primarily on back roads and off road. One thing I haven't been able to find out yet is if both the front and rear diffs are locked. I'll be hands-on with the one I'm after soon, but would have thought this info would be more readily available. I'm pretty sure the rear is locked, but what about the front? Also, if anyone would like to chime in about flat towing ins and outs, that would be appreciated. Lots of pros and cons on the net... seems straight forward enough, but I do worry about the front wheels going one way the the tow vehicle going the other. Anyone know what the caster is on these... positive or negative?

Anyway, HELLO!!

Hello and welcome....

As far as I'm aware 40s were never fitted with lockers from the factory. I think you'll be surprised how capable they are in rough conditions.

I don't know anything about 'flat towing' because I drive mine everywhere - on and off road - desert, rocks, mud, uphill and down dale!

Regards,

Rodger

Thanks Rodger, this is good to know! I'll look into locking options... looks like the best/most versatile way to get to locking diffs is air lockers. On demand, and I'd like to have on-board air for tires anyway. The adventure begins!

Back