Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Genuine alloy wheel weight?

Roy Duffy

Country Flag
scotland
Does anyone know the weight of a genuine 80 alloy. I have genuine steels at the moment.
Im asking the question as I am getting new tyres for my trip to Morocco next month.

Im looking at 255/85 r16s

Either
BF goodrich KM2
Weight 24.5kgs

or

Toyo open country
Weight 27kg

Im trying to keep the weight similar to what I am running or lighter. It has 235/85 r16 Cooper STTs on genuine steels at the moment.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Roy
they Are alot lighter then the steels. I cant give a exact figure but when i picked up a set of steels for a member on here i was shocked how heavy they are. I run 255 85 16 km2 on std alloys and there great.
just need to find some more for my trailer.
stu

Roy the original steels weigh in at an incredible 20kg each. The standard alloys weigh in at 9.6 kg.
Hope this helps

Andy

Thanks guys thats great!!

Now just the choice of tyres!?

I have heard that the Toyo’s are a stronger tyre having a stronger side wall and they are slightly cheaper than the bfgoodrich so might be swayed towards the toyos if they are going to be more cut resistent.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks again!! :)

I cant find the toyo in 255 85 16 ? can you post a link as they dont even do a 285 75 16

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The weight between them is negligible, for a vehicle like the 80 I'm sure you won't really notice, only when going to extremes in tyre weight will it show, my wheel/ tyre combo (37" remoulds + heavy steel beadlocks ) is around 70kg so over ¼ a ton all in and still drives pretty good

The Toyo MT's are supposed to be very tough but maybe a bit harsh and noisy.

Thanks loads guys!! As its no longer a daily driver i think im going to go for the Toyos. Ill do a post in the tyres section when i get them and let people know how they go.

Having had standards and 37's on steels too, the weight difference isn't in the standing kerb weight. It's about energy built up in the wheel when you brake and of course when you accelerate. These are essentially flywheels. When you go up in diameter of course you also increase the load / torque which hits MPG. With the 37s on I got 1000 miles out a set of pads. Stopping the beast took some doing. Having a standard 80 as well at the moment, it's incredible how different it is to accelerate and brake. Off road at 2 mph it never made difference with the 37's. I re geared too to 4.56 but that makes no difference to braking.

Scott who had the green one before me had alloys and steels and said that spinning up the alloys was very noticeably different to the the steels. Different tyres in the same sizes probably don't make that big a difference. Not when they are proper tyres like those.

37's is a huge jump but the same can be said about putting 33's on 16x8 steels on my 90 it takes a lot more stopping .

I've got 305s (33" ish) on 16x10" steels, and I think the combined weight is significantly more than stock steels/215s that are recommended for my model (HZJ 80).

I should with them to be sure, but they take some lugging onto the roof rack or the rear swing-out. Alloys would have to make a difference, if they're half the weight of a comparative steel.

When I had steels I would run the winch line over the roof to lift the spare onto the rear carrier, now I have alloys I can just about manage to lift it myself.

When I had steels I would run the winch line over the roof to lift the spare onto the rear carrier, now I have alloys I can just about manage to lift it myself.

There you go! :think:

Back