Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gibb River Road / Kalumburu

79Dual Addiction

Country Flag
australia
Not many people think taking a caravan on the Gibb is a good idea.....For those people this statement is probably true. But I didn't spend seventy grand on a caravan just to sleep in a tent, so when the opportunity arose to join another Off-Road Caravan enthusiast up to Kalumburu I got excited.
For those of you who don't know Australia, The Gibb River Road is an iconic 700km track through the heart of the Kimberley Region of Western Australia that is one of those "bucket list" goals for every Aussie who loves to escape the black top, head into the middle of nowhere and search out an adventure.
Even those who do take their van on the Gibb, most will not even consider continuing on to the remote aboriginal community of Kalumburu, instead choosing to leave the caravan at Drysdale Station and tenting up to the top. I do agree that in most cases this is the smart choice, towing a three tonne caravan along these roads requires preparation and some level of know how and mecahanical apptityude. However you choose to travel this part of the country I highly recommend it, the rugged beauty that will expose tranquil water holes surrounded by lush green trees is not only breathtaking but life changing. It is something that cannot be explained through either script or screen, it can only be experienced. I hope you enjoy.

Very good, I am sure I saw an episode of 4wd Action there
Fishing looked good, wee one did well with the rod
Not sure about the crocs though
And the caves and. Tunnels cool

Absolutely superb. Brings back a lot of good memories for me. I still rate the Kimberley as my favourite place I’ve been. I drove the Gibb River in 1999 in a 1975 FJ45 troop carrier. It’s my ultimate goal to go back and do it again, hopefully in the 80.

I agree, this was the second time I have done it. The first time in 2015 literally changed me, I fell so in love with the Kimberley that I couldn't wait to get back. The people I'm travelling with in this clip have travelled all over Australia, they say that this trip has been by far the most memorable for them. We are planning to return with a few other caravans to tackle the most rugged parts we can in 2020. Each family is picking what they want to see and we will spend as many weeks as it takes. My pick is The Carson Track to go Barra fishing on the Carson river. We will have drones and GoPro's capturing the adventures and cutting a full documentary style video. It's going to be epic.

Gibb river is totally on my bucket list. I haven’t gone further than Exmouth and Karijini and I am really keen to try to get up there. It looks like such a beautiful part of the country!

Great video, plus I reconsidered a few places........

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gibb river is totally on my bucket list. I haven’t gone further than Exmouth and Karijini and I am really keen to try to get up there. It looks like such a beautiful part of the country!

I have lived in Exmouth for 14 years and still never been to Karijini

Back