Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Given your Druthers: '91 or '97 Turbo Diesel?

CMcS47

Country Flag
united_states
I'm going to Santa Cruz, Bolivia (I'm posted in La Paz) to look at two Turbo Diesel 80s this Saturday. Being somewhat ignorant on the topic, all things being equal (never), would you lean first toward the '97 with 300Km, or the '92 with 200Km? They both have leather seats, blah blah, but the '92 has a black matte finish. What I want to know is there likely still to be a lot of life (and statistically fewer problems) in the higher mileage '97 than the '92. They're both of interest, but I can only carry one out of the country on Uncle Sugar's dime. I won't be going back to the States for a number of years, but in case I can't bring it with me to my onward assignment, they'll both be over 25 when I leave here.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks, Chuck

In UK terms a 92 model year would have smaller front brakes , a different interior , and if an auto a different gear box ..... the 97 has many minor refinements that make them a nicer drive... (tolerances in the drive train etc )
Condition is more important than miles driven and a 300K with an impeccable service history preferable to a 200K vehicle with no known history .
Rust shouldn't be an issue with either given the climate but again condition is more important .... changing the colour of a vehicle properly is a big job so I suspect the 92 will have areas where the original colour is still showing and may be not a good look.... also why was it repainted ?
I don't understand people who pay mega bucks for an AMG Merc or Aston then spec it with matte paint so that's a personal preference....
Remember many body parts are now obsolete.... interior parts are expensive new .

Bolivia is a very long way away for most of us here so why not just show us the ads

all things being reasonable equal, as in, one isnt a complete nail. i would go for the 97. not because its younger, but because it will have the 1HD FT. plus the points grimbo has made regarding the interior. 186000 miles is middle aged for these motors btw.

I think that overall condition is more important than age/mileage .An older high mileage one that's had an easy life would be my choice rather than younger/low mileage that's been thrashed & not serviced.As said by others these are tough trucks but that sometimes invites neglect and abuse.Having said that the cost new for these in Bolivia is the equivalent of Ferrari money in the USA so the owners wouldn't have any budget worries about servicing .

Painted matt black unless it was done incredibly well would set of alarm bells for me questioning the sellers ability to finance good and regular maintenance .

Mileage matters not at all and the best truck in this instance is the one in the best condition because its been well maintained .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I reckon the 1hd ft is the better option if both in same condition. Would really though be based on engine condition, servicing history. Spending a few dollars just to look maybe get it pressure tested before deciding?
Good problem to have.

Back