Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

GKN cv joints.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these on the 80?
over the last six weeks ive been speaking to a extremely nice chap from there bespoke cv joint racing department.
they are designed by GKN and manufactured in one of there European factorys.
anyone have first hand experience?

Not GKN but I have recently fitted some SKF one's .
Again made in Europe and good quality from a brand known for making decent bearings.
GKN normally make fair stuff of OE quality .
Were these a direct replacement or an upgrade ? For normal use or Comp use ?
Some of the kit we have fitted to Rally cars and Comp vehicles or Military upgrades is stronger for sure but not as long lasting or suitable for every day use due to noise or other issues

Again made in Europe and good quality from a brand known for making decent bearings.
Some of the kit we have fitted to Rally cars and Comp vehicles or Military upgrades is stronger for sure but not as long lasting or suitable for every day use due to noise or other issues
Sure it's been asked but what are the £80 cvs from Milner like. What make etc. How much are the GKN or SKF ones in comparison

They are a direct replacement for the oem joints. I am told they are made to oem spec. I did explain that "oem quality" is a statment often used by manufacturers to describe there product, when, as we know they are far from it. He assured me they were and asked me where the failure point normally is, i told him it was the cage. He replied this is due to inferior materials.

Sure it's been asked but what are the £80 cvs from Milner like. What make etc. How much are the GKN or SKF ones in comparison
Just looked and they are skf and under 50 quid each from milner. May try a pair in the off road truck. I'm paying almost that for second hand ones from breakers. Cant surely be worse than a unit with god knows how many miles on. At least I'll be busting new at the same price as second hand.

Just looked and they are skf and under 50 quid each from milner. May try a pair in the off road truck. I'm paying almost that for second hand ones from breakers. Cant surely be worse than a unit with god knows how many miles on. At least I'll be busting new at the same price as second hand.
SKF used to have a excellent reputatation for bearings.
there was a bottom bracket standard on mountain bikes called ISIS,the spindle that the cranks attached to was large for strength, leaving very little space for bearings. You could destroy even a top end BB in about three months of wet gritty uk conditions. Then SKF came along and blew every other manufacturer out of the water. I was getting nearly 18 months out of mine.
pure quality engineering.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
SKF is one of those names held in very high regard in my book and by many others. I didn’t know GKN did these sorts of components but I would be surprised if whatever they did was not top quality.

GKN bought the original Birfield Co. in the 1960’s and has been making CVJ’s ever since. Apparently GKN has just been bought by an investments Co.

Apparently GKN has just been bought by an investments Co.

Did this deal go through? I heard it was held up, the investment company has a reputation for stripping assets, dumping the workforce and selling off the property, I do know there was massive resentment.

Regards

Dave

GKN used to supply CVs to BL for all the ranges in the 60’s & 70’s, mini, maxi, allegro, 1500 & 1800...

I know GKN supplies CV's and axle to many car manufacturers such as BMW, Mercedes, VAG, Landrover (that may not be a good thing :laughing:) ,etc etc
I've been wanting to try them, but recently their ABS cv's are not available anymore, or are the ABS rings removable from the toyota cv's ?
So I was going to try either Terrain Tamer as they seem to supply alot of OEM parts, or SKF as mentioned for the obvious reasons.

Have you got a contact for the gkn Cvs?

A chap I know fitted skf and they have been no worries for 12 months

I know GKN supplies CV's and axle to many car manufacturers such as BMW, Mercedes, VAG, Landrover (that may not be a good thing :laughing:) ,etc etc
I've been wanting to try them, but recently their ABS cv's are not available anymore, or are the ABS rings removable from the toyota cv's ?
So I was going to try either Terrain Tamer as they seem to supply alot of OEM parts, or SKF as mentioned for the obvious reasons.

Yes you can take the ABS rings off the OE Joints , I did that with when I changed to SKF as they came non ABS despite the French seller assuring me they were.....TBH it took 10 mins to swap them over , just be aware not all non ABS joints will be machined to the correct diameter or have a machined land to put the rings on .
My SKF joints came with grease , new clips , and well packaged . They had SKF engraved on them and were just as heavy and heat treated in the same place as the OE ones that had done 170K and were still serviceable just clicking slightly under extreme use .

Did this deal go through? I heard it was held up, the investment company has a reputation for stripping assets, dumping the workforce and selling off the property, I do know there was massive resentment.

Regards

Dave
I fear it has. its a complete disgrace imo, and a very sad day.

the ABS cv is still available.
Have you got a contact for the gkn Cvs?

A chap I know fitted skf and they have been no worries for 12 months

yes Ive been speaking to a fella at GKN.

I fear it has. its a complete disgrace imo, and a very sad day.

the ABS cv is still available.

yes Ive been speaking to a fella at GKN.

Do you happen to know where? It’s not listed in their online catalogue anymore and most big online shops say they are not available anymore.

Not available any more probably means they agreed with Toyota to make for Toyota only to Toyota spec. It used to be called a "trade tie off ".

Back