Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Glow plug light on...after blanking EGR

Joao Eusebio

Country Flag
uk
Hi all

Wondering if you can help, I've blanked my EGR last weekend, and noticed my glow plug light is coming on. Is there any link to this, and what could I look for?

Thanks for the help.

Hi all

Wondering if you can help, I've blanked my EGR last weekend, and noticed my glow plug light is coming on. Is there any link to this, and what could I look for?

Thanks for the help.
I take it you have disconnected the loom as well then? I keep meaning to look into this but havnt had the time. Without studying the emissions ewd im only guessing but i would of thought looping two wires together will make the light go off. Its just the matter of finding the wires!

Or just take out the bulb..

I have looped the pipes so they don't operate but have left the wiring alone and my light comes on intermittently.

Ive had the egr looped for years paul and never had a problem with the light coming on.

I have had this too, My EGR is blanked aswell and sometimes the light comes on and stays on for weeks, now it's out for months, very awkward. Also my heating screen does not work.

Hi all

Thanks for the help.
Boas tardes João Eusébio, escrevo em portugues porque penso ser esta a sua lingua. Certo? Li sua publicação sobre o EGR (supressão) e o facto da luzinha de alerta do pré aquecimento ficar permanentemente acesa. O mesmo aconteceu comigo com um HDJ80 de 1997. Tal e qual! Verifiquei, porém, que quando desconectava e reconectava as baterias a luzinha já não ficava peranentemete ligada. Só acendia no momento de ligar o motor e depois apagava tal como deveria ser. Porém, ao religar o motor lá voltava o mesmo problema. Só mesmo desligando e religando as baterias é que consigo uma situaçao normal. A oficina Toyota não conseguiu encontrar a causa deste fenómeno. O diagnostico informava um tal de "code 71" que nada mais é que indicativo de um mau funcionamemto do EGR. Mas isso é óbvio, já que o EGR está desativado. Concluo que um qualquer relais fica preso quando se desliga o motor e causa aquele fenómeno. Tenho que continuar a investigar. Escreva-me para meu mail para continuarmos este diálogo! [email protected]

in the meanwhile i got a lot of information from our fellow Charles Frew who kindly offered his help to solve this "ever glowing" of the preheater dashboard lamp. He has the same car , one LandCruiser HDJ80 with HD-FT motor. (see below the power and torque diagramms).

see the video: easy way how to connect and disconnect the batteries :

HDJ80 - Curvas de potencia & binário.png

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I guess Miguel means we have to investigate further. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have never seen anyone successfully blank and egr. There always seems to be issues afterward, even if it is just the engine light on. Depending on how the sensor works (I don’t have the wiring diagrams) there should be a fairly simple way to bridge it out while maintaining the required voltage to keep the ecu happy.

20190211_124222.jpg &server=www.vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /> 20190211_124222.jpg &server=https://www.vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="350">
I guess Miguel means we have to investigate further. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
indeed Firewout, this subject has a lot of opinions. I must be very carefull in choosing. A pity is that Toyota Portugal itself has not given any
Boas tardes João Eusébio, escrevo em portugues porque penso ser esta a sua lingua. Certo? Li sua publicação sobre o EGR (supressão) e o facto da luzinha de alerta do pré aquecimento ficar permanentemente acesa. O mesmo aconteceu comigo com um HDJ80 de 1997. Tal e qual! Verifiquei, porém, que quando desconectava e reconectava as baterias a luzinha já não ficava peranentemete ligada. Só acendia no momento de ligar o motor e depois apagava tal como deveria ser. Porém, ao religar o motor lá voltava o mesmo problema. Só mesmo desligando e religando as baterias é que consigo uma situaçao normal. A oficina Toyota não conseguiu encontrar a causa deste fenómeno. O diagnostico informava um tal de "code 71" que nada mais é que indicativo de um mau funcionamemto do EGR. Mas isso é óbvio, já que o EGR está desativado. Concluo que um qualquer relais fica preso quando se desliga o motor e causa aquele fenómeno. Tenho que continuar a investigar. Escreva-me para meu mail para continuarmos este diálogo! [email protected]

in the meanwhile i got a lot of information from our fellow Charles Frew who kindly offered his help to solve this "ever glowing" of the preheater dashboard lamp. He has the same car , one LandCruiser HDJ80 with HD-FT motor. (see below the power and torque diagramms).

Video explaining my situation at the following two Youtube links :
connecting and disconnecting batteries

preheater dashboard light in ok situation and permanently lit (on)

View attachment 153903
Here the translation of my above text in portuguese:
Good afternoon, João Eusebio, I write in Portuguese because I think this is yor language. Right? I read your publication on EGR (suppression) and the fact that the pre-heating warning light is permanently lit. The same thing happened to me with a HDJ80 of 1997. Just like that! I checked, however, that when I disconnected and reconnected the batteries the light was no longer on. It just lit up the moment when I turned on the engine and then erased it as it should be. However, when the engine was turned back on, the same problem returned. Just turning off and reconnecting the batteries is that I get a normal situation. The Toyota Workshop failed to find the cause of this phenomenon. The diagnosis informed a "code 71 " That is nothing more than indicative of a bad functionamemto of EGR. But that's obvious, since EGR is deactivated. I conclude that any relais is trapped when you turn off the engine and cause that phenomenon. I have to keep investigating. Write me for my mail to continue to [email protected]HDJ80 desenhos.jpg

See here the video links:
two pre heater light situations: ok and permanently on

how to connect and disconnect the batteries Screenshot_20190218-144431_Gallery.jpg 20190213_121442.jpg

Above two images of the same ECU wiring
Interrupted wires are Yellow/Blue and Black/Red in order to stop constant glowing of the pre heater lamp due to EGR blanking. Lamp is now glowing normal.

See below where to find the ECU (Engine Control Unit) from Landcruiser HDJ80
20190301_115938.jpg

Last edited:
What sensors are we talking about here? I removed my EGR valve assemblies years ago, leaving the actuators connected and it all works fine. Unplugging the actuators brings on the engine/ECU light which is why I left them so the ECU ‘thinks’ the system is still working. Compared to modern EGR/emmisions kit it’s a very basic system.

Back