Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Got the 80 a bit stuck at the weekend

Ecoman

Country Flag
scotland
I joined up with my old 4x4 response group, at the weekend. We were up in the wilds between Ullapool and Bonar Bridge supporting the 2014 MacMillan Coast to Coast Walk/Cycle/Ride.

All was going well and I even rescued a few trucks that were bogged down or hung up on rocks.

COTAGMacMillian20148_zpse1485c9e.jpg
COTAGMacMillian201428_zps17b36758.jpg
COTAGMacMillian201430_zpsd9d94ffb.jpg

A kitted out Ranger with both his front wheels hanging after he hit a boulder entering a burn.
COTAGMacMillian201442_zpse182c11c.jpg

That was until I took a route I had walked the previous night and found it to be wet but firm ground. Its amazing how much rain can fall while your asleep!!

Here are the results:
COTAGMacMillian201443_zpscf8af677.jpg
COTAGMacMillian201445_zps0ec7201e.jpg
COTAGMacMillian201444_zps85f5de55.jpg

And what came to rescue me?? Thankfully not a Land Rover!! ;)
COTAGMacMillian201450_zpsf7776f15.jpg

Anyway, only battle scars for the weekend were two torn off mud flaps and a broken door check strap. I have all the bits now to fix it so I know what I will be doing tomorrow after work!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Great pics thanks for sharing them. :thumbup:

Your 80 looks smart! :clap:

Very tidy 80 indeed. Just needs that winch and ground anchor .....

All fun and games.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Very tidy 80 indeed. Just needs that winch and ground anchor .....

Agreed Chris, good looking truck, but only stuck for the sake of some equipment.

I bought a ground anchor after a being stuck alone in a very remote place on the mountain. It took me hours to manage to drive it out.

Since then, I've only used it once, but it's a piece of "insurance" kit nonetheless.

Great photos Ecoman :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the compliments on my truck. It means a lot coming from you guys. :bow-yellow:

I was about to fit a winch to it before I sold it 2 years ago. Now I have it back the plan is to get one fitted before winter comes around again. I'm planning on fitting a Goodwinch TDS Goldfish into an ARB/ TJM type bumper.

Nice pics :)
Your right wheels seem to be on somewhat firm ground. Weren't you able to drive out with you lockers engaged?

No Geert the axles were well and truly grounded. my NS wheels were not even at the bottom of the trough. The annoying thing was that there was a hard crust over the top of the water and as I drove over it the whole vegetation sank into the waterlogged abyss below. the hole you see around my truck suddenly seemed to appear as I drove over it!

Still, it reinforces my argument with the missus that we NEED a winch and winch bumper on the truck:thumbup:

No Geert the axles were well and truly grounded. my NS wheels were not even at the bottom of the trough. The annoying thing was that there was a hard crust over the top of the water and as I drove over it the whole vegetation sank into the waterlogged abyss below. the hole you see around my truck suddenly seemed to appear as I drove over it!

Still, it reinforces my argument with the missus that we NEED a winch and winch bumper on the truck:thumbup:

I like that approach, all my recovery gear has been purchased in the name of "safety" it works a treat! :lol:

:lol:

Aye, I showed the missus the pictures of the truck in the bog and said "it was a good job somebody had a winch or I would still be there now. She just nodded knowingly and said "yes, well I think its about time you put a winch on that thing to keep us all from getting stuck in the middle of nowhere."

How I kept a straight face I will never know!:laughing-rolling:

:lol:

Aye, I showed the missus the pictures of the truck in the bog and said "it was a good job somebody had a winch or I would still be there now. She just nodded knowingly and said "yes, well I think its about time you put a winch on that thing to keep us all from getting stuck in the middle of nowhere."

How I kept a straight face I will never know!:laughing-rolling:

Bravo! That's the way to do it! :lol::thumbup:

Ecoman i have been trying to get a tjm winch bumper for months now ,the only supplier in europe is ashika in france and they dont answer emails or calls ,im led to believe that in the uk a winch bumper is ok as long as there is no bull bar on it so a arb like the one on the blue ranger is all we can legally fit as new equipment -so i am waiting for feedback about one from devon4x4 ,you may get away with it on the 80 but cos my 100 is a 2004 i have no chance :icon-biggrin: any one with relevant info please share

As far as I was aware, the 2 main points were that an integrated replacement bumper was ok, a load of pipework fitted over the front of the existing bumper wasn't. Also, if a winch was fitted this became working equipment?

What about TJM Switzerland? Magna & Hutchinson are the EU distributors according to the TJM Aus website, they have a trader list on their website at http://www.mh4x4.at. Curiously, the company you mention aren't listed.

As far as I was aware, the 2 main points were that an integrated replacement bumper was ok, a load of pipework fitted over the front of the existing bumper wasn't. Also, if a winch was fitted this became working equipment?

What about TJM Switzerland? Magna & Hutchinson are the EU distributors according to the TJM Aus website, they have a trader list on their website at http://www.mh4x4.at. Curiously, the company you mention aren't listed.

cheers Doodle every day is a school day ,devon4x4 wont sell me a ARB sahara winch bumper with the ss bar or the one with the pipework to protect the lights/grill ,i asked a traffic cop about this and he said they are all banned and his mate said he dont know what the rules are

I would have thought TBRUK would sell you the Sahara bar with chrome hoop, they have it listed on their website. I have the same setup on my 100, I'm fairly sure they supplied it.

I would have thought TBRUK would sell you the Sahara bar with chrome hoop, they have it listed on their website. I have the same setup on my 100, I'm fairly sure they supplied it.

I will try tbr tomorow ,thanks buddy

Didn't some one say they had a container coming to the UK?
I always fancied one of these http://www.nudge-m.co.za/Vehicle_details.asp?Model_id=-1330321776
Also as far as I could find out the bull bar law was not retroactive and only made it dodgy to sell a bull bar, however it is perfectly legal to fit a winch bumper that incorporates head lamp protection.

hi thanks Julian ,i just had a look at the bar from these guys to fit my hunde its maassifff :icon-biggrin:

IIRC it was only illegal to fit a bull bar or winch bumper inc a bull bar after a certain vehicle manufactured date. Otherwise it was OK to do so so long as it was part of a working recovery/ protection system, ie you can only fit a winch bumper if there is a winch fitted also.

To be honest, I'm not that bothered if the bumper has a nudge bar incorporated into the design or not. No matter what I fit it won't be pedestrian friendly. :icon-rolleyes:

Back