Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Grand tour s3

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Just watching ep 2 & an 80 was fetched to winch A monster truck out of the sea.......the lads have a couple of cruiser support cars :)

Last edited:
Enjoyed last week even though it was utterly pointless telly. There's going to be an X 19 in there at some point. I had one many years ago. 2 seat mid engine. Loved that car to bits. Well it was a FIAT so it was always going to end in bits.

Your right, but it makes me chuckle, sitting with my legs raised and Nora Batty surgical stockings on! Glad Jeremy has come out at last lol

I used to like the X-19, never drove one though, was it front wheel drive like the Barchetta (Or whatever it was called)

Last edited:
Used to admire the X19s when I was a young'un - the arrival of the mk1 MR2 however put an end to that and the X19 pretty much.

Noo noo, proper rear wheel drive. 1500cc transverse OHC. Honestly like a go kart. Yes the MR2 just kicked its ass. Electric everything, reliable, well built, bigger engine etc but never sounded Italian and in truth handled no better.

OMFC!! If this had been last year when I had disposable income, I'd have bought it. I'm starting to cry.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-Fia...m=123608783824&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cant make that link work :(
Rear wheel drive much fun! We had an MX-5 that was a scream!

Seems to work. Ahh, but with it being mid engined it had so much grip it just never lost traction. I remember one winter I got studded snow tyres for the back and it went everywhere in the snow.

Inwas wondering what you were all on about, x19. Followed the link and recognised it immediately. The hair dresser up the road from where i grew up had one :)

X19 you could have any colour as long as it was orange.

My daughter bought one of the last mr2's new in 2006. It's had only two failures which was a broken front spring and a battery in 2017 (11 year old battery!). Easy to service and no cam belt but a chain. She won't part with it.

Got it now, that's a beauty! 19k miles since new........
I had a customer in Oxford who used to buy 2 of every thing if he fell in love with it....2 machines here and 2 machines there....mostly from us! He used to put one on the factory floor and one in the cellar underneath the factory.....he took me down there one day to see all my unused machines. There was a mk 1 mr2, unregistered, still with shipping marks on it...it must have been getting on for 20 yrs old then!
There were hardly Davidson's and all sorts. He was a bit eccentric- he had a Penthouse on top of the factory with a swimming pool underneath!
Great guy :)

MkII didn't come in orange Frank. You're thinking of the 1300cc Mk I
The 2006 MR2 was an utterly different thing. We're talking about this

1980's vintage
Screenshot 2019-01-25 at 18.03.59.jpg

Enjoyed last week even though it was utterly pointless telly. There's going to be an X 19 in there at some point. I had one many years ago. 2 seat mid engine. Loved that car to bits. Well it was a FIAT so it was always going to end in bits.
Slightly bizzarely was watching J Leno yesterday and he had an x19 on. Back in the day my mate had one, wrapped it round a lamppost, when they let go, they really let go! I had a 1275 midget, and other mate had a 1500 midget, another a triumph spitfire. Great days.

MkII didn't come in orange Frank. You're thinking of the 1300cc Mk I
The 2006 MR2 was an utterly different thing. We're talking about this

1980's vintage
View attachment 153585
Had one of those, what a machine. Indecently quick, economical, and cornered like it was on rails. Would love another. Never had an MX5 but would like to give the mark 1 a go.

Got it now, that's a beauty! 19k miles since new........
I had a customer in Oxford who used to buy 2 of every thing if he fell in love with it....2 machines here and 2 machines there....mostly from us! He used to put one on the factory floor and one in the cellar underneath the factory.....he took me down there one day to see all my unused machines. There was a mk 1 mr2, unregistered, still with shipping marks on it...it must have been getting on for 20 yrs old then!
There were hardly Davidson's and all sorts. He was a bit eccentric- he had a Penthouse on top of the factory with a swimming pool underneath!
Great guy :)
The trouble is, if he didn’t register them you now wouldn’t be able to because they wouldn’t pass emissions regs, so they can never be used in the road.

I've had a Mk I and Mk II MR2, and still have a Mk III now as a daily driver - brilliant cars. Looking to replace my Mk III now as its getting pretty tired, but I can't find much out there that is as much fun and as reliable for sensible money. I'm now toying with buying one of the last made, if I can find a low-ish miles one at the right money...

Just watching ep 2 & an 80 was fetched to winch A monster truck out of the sea.......the lads have a couple of cruiser support cars :)

They, and previously the BBC crew (many of them the same people) have used landcruisers as camera and support trucks on the far flung adventures for a long time. They used LR products in the UK and continental Europe, but anything in Africa, S.America or Asia almost always had Toyotas. Clearly visible in many of the episodes to.

Just watched ep3 of new series. Sounds like they should have kept using the mighty 80. Clarkson reckons at the end of Columbia trip they went through 6 ‘nearly new’ landcruisers while his Jeep just kept going.:flushed:

upload_2019-1-30_21-26-3.jpeg

Think I may have the Toyota workshop manuals for this in my mums loft, if anyone has one I can have a look!
Cheers

Sorry for the bump folks, but I just got round to watching this episode last night and was a bit concerned by the fact that they managed to lose 6 Landcruisers, with Jeremy Clarkson saying that "they all broke down in some way". Certainly doesn't bode well for modern Landcruisers. Anyone know any more details about this? I haven't been able to find anything else. Gorgeous 80 in Part 1 by the way.

Back