Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

greasing UJs.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
how do you grease yours?
just enough pumps of the grease gun so as not to "break" the seals?

or, as per the fsm. keep pumping until the grease comes out of all four seals?

Until you've pushed a decent amount of the old grease out and that it's come out of all 4 joints.

Agree with Frank. Pump till you hear the 'pop' noise and grease comes out of 4 joints

When the inevitable happens and the joint ends up needing replacement, are there good brands (Koyo of course) and any to avoid?

Milner ones don’t last. The Roughtrax Supplied ones are much better

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Milner ones don’t last. The Roughtrax Supplied ones are much better
Any idea what the makes are Mark?

Milners seem to be doing ‘Toyo’ ones
Roughtrax GMB.

Are these the ones you mean? £12 for a UJ from Milners does seem pretty cheap and I’m always suspicious of company names that are close to known good ones.

Last edited:
Milner ones are generally Toyo and I can't recall anyone actually saying that they'd lasted very long once fitted. Shame really, they could easily stock something better. I'd go Roughtrax or of course OEM

I’m guessing that OEM ones are Koyo, Chris?

Can't say. They come in a Toyota box and I don't think have any kind of branding on them unlike, say , wheel bearings.

SKF, Timken, Fag…?
Absolutely, the list goes on. Im sure good bearing manufactures make good bearings all round. Theres nothing ground breaking about 80s series ujs.
I cant remember if there are markings on a toyota uj. There certainly isnt a koyo stamp. Ill have a look tomorrow.

well, the reason for the original question was I was talking shop with some of the old boys in the local a couple of nights ago. a retired agri mechanic and a retired JCB engineer, ive heard it said plenty of times in the past too.
for the record I follow the fsm, the same as the posts above. the reason being to purge the old and possible contaminated grease. in my eyes at least, the seals will, well, re seal themselves.

No markings. .

20180901_142220.jpg
20180901_142336.jpg
20180901_142512.jpg

Greasing the UJ’s is pretty straight forward, I think greasing the sliding yoke requires more caution. Just Pumping grease through the nipple it’s easy to lock the sliding action hydraulically. I pump in grease until it will take no more then remove the nipple. I’ve found it impossible to get grease to exit past the yoke splines. Excess grease usually squirts out of the nipple hole at this point. I then take it for a short drive which pumps out further excess grease by the sliding action of the yoke. Not the procedure in the FSM I agree but the method I prefer.

While we are on the topic can everyone grease all nipples while shaft is in situ..

Yes, relatively easily. I usually grease two of the accessible nipples, then roll the vehicle forward a few feet to access the rest. You could, I suppose, jack up one front and rear wheel so you can spin the props while under there but too much faffing about for me.

Back