Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Greetings Folks

Richard Lorand

Country Flag
great_britain
8 years ago I got a 4Runner for a trip to southern Morocco, 3 years ago I went across Kazakhstan and Mongolia to Magadan in the Russian far east and back and last year went to Iran via Georgia and Armenia. Never had a problem. Went to Oman last year and hired a Land Cruiser but they gave me a Padjero, I was realy choked off. I have always liked cruisers and when my 4Runner started to rust I have now got a Colorado. It has the same engine as my 4Runner so I hope it is just as reliable. I don't do big modifications as Toyota uses proven parts. We always sleep inside the vehicle so no roof tents and travel light. My new Colorado is a 98 with 109k on the clock so hopefully a good few years left in her.

Welcome Richard, sounds like you've done some epic trips.

Colorado's are a good option and share the same engine and chassis with the 4runner so you should be familiar with it. Mines just turned 205k miles so you've got plenty of miles left yet.

Welcome Richard, there's nothing wrong with "Collies" for expedition work and travelling light would be my way.
Pics please.

Andy

Welcome aboard Richard, photos and stories of expeditions always welcomed here... :thumbup:

P1010679.JPG
The Steppes of Kazakhstan
P1010679.JPG
P1010733.JPG
P1020312.JPG
The Mongolian Altai Mountains
P1020312.JPG
P1030145.JPG
P1030253.JPG
On the beach north of Magadan
P1030851.JPG
Our sleeping arrangments
P1030253.JPG
P1030851.JPG
P1070615.JPG
P1070782.JPG
P1070900.JPG
P1080110.JPG
P1070615.JPG
Our first morning in Mongolia
P1070741.JPG
A few pics of the Russian Far East Trip. The roof rack was a home made roof box bolted onto a plywood base which itself was fastened onto 4 Thule roof bars. A cut down loft ladder behind the box was used for access to the roof. A second spare wheel was strapped to the roof and 2 Jerry Can frames were bolted to the rack with the cans locked in. Never needed to use spare (an excellent accolade to B F Goodrich AT tyres). Only carried empty cans on the roof, full ones were kept inside. A roll out awning was strapped to the nearside around the roof bars. The trip started from Humberston in Lincolnshire a ferry from Hull to Amsterdam, across Germany and Poland into Lithuania and crossed into Russia in Latvia. Via Moscow to Astrakhan and into Kazakhstan. Crossing Kazakhstan on the southern route via Almaty along the Chinese border and back into Russia to get into Mongolia. The southern route of Mongolia to the far east of the country and back into Russia along the Vladivostok road before turning north on the Kolymar Highway also known as the road of bones via Yakutsk and onward to Magadan. The road ran out at Ola 30 km north of Magadan where we were on Fiji time.Our return was the full length of Russia via Lake Baikal. It was a 4 month 23000 mile trip and was a great experience. P1020915.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its my dream to do the road of bones before i die. Kazakhstan is also high on my list. I absolutely take my hat off to you. I love the fact youve done it without spending a fortune on "overlanding" kit, and in a motor people often dismiss. My father has had two. I love the matress they come with and the six foot of sleeping space due to the back seats folding down flush with the floor.

:bow-blue: Mucho respect, epic trip.

:text-coolphotos: Welcome aboard Richard!

Back