Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Greetings to all!

African Drifter

Hi everyone!
It is great to be part of the European Land cruiser Club. Thank you for the support and all the info available.
My current Land cruiser is a SX 3.0 td Prado (Japanese Import) and are very happy with her. She is currently bog standard and
I am planning a long trip overland and am in need of info and accessories available to give the old girl some muscle. New or used
parts will be fine. Any info will be appreciated, thank you.

I am based in London UK for the moment. Was born in Africa and had the pleasure for many trips thru the great continent and had some
breath taking experiences. Also travelled thru the USA in the early 90's but now the time has come to do Europe and thru to the Arctic.

To start off: Looking for roof racks/carriers, back door ladder ect ect
( ... and where to find a 2" body lift kit)

Thank you
African Drifter

Welcome to the forum.

the best place for parts if you are not fussed if they are used or not is usaully ebay. another good place to look is on the HUBB fourm, i bought both my roof racks there. you can always ask in the wanted section you never know what someone has lying around that they want to get rid off. also ask battered and blue if you need a winch mount ;) .

for suspension try west coast 4x4 for Ironman suspension or if you want to go OME then try TBR

doh! you said body not suspension, milner do a well priced kit for the 90

And they are the only people who do the very necessary steering spacer - courtesy of guess who? :roll:
Only 40mm lift though. I would not suggest that you need more than that. For comprehensive fitting instructions, just ask. I have done a few now. I may even get one right at some point. :lol:

Welcome along.

Chris

Re: Thank you

;) Hi Rob and Chris (Battered and Blue)

Thanks guys for the info, it helps a lot!
Rob, I see that your cruiser is fitted with 33" tyres, will a 2" lift on the Prado be enough for 33"'s? Some guys recommend not to go more than 31"???
Chris, the Prado is a 1994 KZJ78 Jap import, does a body lift kit exist for these models?

Thanks again!

African Drifter

Sorry not big on the import numbers. It's 90 series - yes? Like one of these?

P1010010.jpg

If it is, then yes. Same lift kit. Sorry got lazy. Picture easy - looking up model numbers after red wine - taxing.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
sorry cont help you with 90 tyre sizes, but i do know that body lifts and spacers are needed to stop rubbing on larger tyre sizes. never heard of anyone with 33" tyres on a 90, i may be wrong. Chris is the 90 expert, im sure he will explian

KZJ78 is not a 90, is it. Just had a look.

Chris

KZJ78 is like mine, just with the KZTE motor.

Mr Drifter, why is it you're after a body lift? With your 'cruiser having a solid front axle setup a suspension lift would (imo) be much more useful, giving better clearance and articulation, whereas a body lift only gives you more room in the arches for bigger tyres - nothing more.

My truck is fitted with 265/75R16 Cooper STT tyres, these work out at 32" and they run fine on standard suspension. 33" tyre's would fit no problem with a 2" lift although you may need to run wheel spacers or slightly more offset rims. Much bigger than this though and gearing will start to suffer, especially if yours is an auto.

As for roofrack's, I got mine cheap from Direct4x4 - it's a very good bit of kit but give yourself a couple of hours to put it together, it comes flatpack and in about 2000 pieces :?

Welcome to the pack :cool:

Jim.

Re: Thank You

Hi Jim
Thank you for the welcome and info.
Yes, you're right, the KZJ78 and Lj78 looks the same. Will start looking everything up asap. As you said better clearance and articulation will benefit me better in the end.
Mine is an automatic and happy with it. Was thinking to go with BFG 31" and or max 32". Don't need more than that. Will contact Direct4x4 for a roof-rack ... do not mind
the flatpack... putting it all together (working on ones cruiser) is 'priceless'!!!

Still new to it all, but will figure it out soon (putting a picture of the old girl on and so on).

African Drifter

'94 KZJ78 Prado 3.0 td SX Auto

Direct4x4 Roofrack < check there :)

As for suspension, Old Man Emu and TJM 2" kits are popular for these trucks. When I finally get round to doing mine I will probably just go for whichever is cheapest on the day. Both kits get very good feedback, being high quality gear, greatly improving articulation while some also report improved ride quality.

Jim

Re: Suspension

Hi Jim

Great minds think alike... was just busy going thru the Old Man Emo web pages this morning and decided to go that way. Its not cheap but
very good. Fitted OME on my cruiser in Africa and was very happy.

Found various different roof racks that will fit the cruiser, very difficult to choose I must say. Going to view a couple first.

Thanks for all the help

African Drifter

Back