Thom Thinn

I am in united_states
Dec 23, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Hey guys, ladies ~

I'm so glad to have found this forum, although I might have known before now, there would of course be a Toyota Land Cruiser Club.
My only LC is a 1983 FJ60 which belonged to my friend and employer. He bought it in 1995 with 100K on the clock and I have been maintaining it ever since. But it has only been in my name since 2009.

I acquired it in a rather sorted way, I repossessed it from a junky nae-do-well, who refused to return it ( my friend loaned it to his neighbor) The creep was driving it around a full year out of registration with no insurance while running drugs. . .to give a short profile. So I regard her as a rescue pup. Her name is Nadine, and she has about 225,000 miles accumulated now.

Anyway, I have written a book in which this LC-FJ60 is actually a bit of a character. It is nonfictional (memoir)
and in the latter pages of the book (In the Wake of Sidney Jack) I have promised to restore her to a higher standard than what she came to us in.. .at 34 years, she has seen some better days.
So far, I have done the suspension (3" lift, tie-rod ends), brakes, aluminum radiator and an H55 conversion to name a few. As of now, I have settled on replacing the 2F engine with a 12HT ~ which I am certain won't be any easy peasey kind of and undertaking. However, I have patience, time and a decent job for now .
I've got a long way to go yet, so I am here for support, ideas, and friendship with those who recognize quality instinctively. . .which is why we own Land Cruisers ;)

Cheers to all and thanks for being here.
regards ~ Thom Thinn

image1.JPG

Reactions: Crispin

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
I am in romania
May 23, 2012
Comarnic, Romania
Garage
Well, Nadine looks quite fit in the photo Thom, I must say. Seen much worse than that being restored on here!

Are there any links to your book or excerpts from it? Sounds interesting...

Welcome to the forum :text-welcomewave:

:text-merryxmas: and a :text-happynewyear:

Last edited:

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
I am in uk
Oct 7, 2014
Bognor Regis UK
Garage
:text-welcomewave::text-welcomeconfet:Welcome Thom, and thanks for bringing Nadine to the party. As Clive has said, she's not in bad shape. As I recall, 34 wasn't a bad age at all and I hope my 80 looks that good at her age!

Good to have you aboard and look forward to hearing more (and seeing plenty of photos. :icon-biggrin:)
Best wishes and good luck restoring.
Richard

Reactions: Thom Thinn

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
I am in england
Nov 19, 2010
Sheffield S.Yorks
Welcome Thinn from another 60 enthusiast. Truck looks good but a 12HT conversion looks like an expensive option for an engine swap, I've had both engines the 2F and the 12HT and if you fit the Chevy straight 6 fuel injection it can transform the 2F without having to buy ( and probably rebuild) a 12HT lump and spend the difference on gas.
Just my opinion like.

Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

Thom Thinn

I am in united_states
Dec 23, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Well, Nadine looks quite fit in the photo Thom, I must say. Seen much worse than that being restored on here!

Are there any links to your book or excerpts from it? Sounds interesting...

Welcome to the forum :text-welcomewave:

:text-merryxmas: and a :text-happynewyear:

Thanks Clive ~ I have and Instagram page ThomThinn and Facebook Thom Thinn author which are the most active ~ I have a website that has a few entries www.SidneyJack.com
I'll try to post something specific about one for TLC entries and let you know.
Your interest is really appreciated. . .the book isn't really about Land Cruisers though. ..but it is about the character of a man who let most of the rest of his life fall apart, yet never his two Cruisers.

Thom Thinn

I am in united_states
Dec 23, 2016
Los Angeles, California
:text-welcomewave::text-welcomeconfet:Welcome Thom, and thanks for bringing Nadine to the party. As Clive has said, she's not in bad shape. As I recall, 34 wasn't a bad age at all and I hope my 80 looks that good at her age!

Good to have you aboard and look forward to hearing more (and seeing plenty of photos. :icon-biggrin:)
Best wishes and good luck restoring.
Richard
Thank you Richard ~ I just got it back from the transmission shop with a freshly rebuilt 5 speed H55 ~ replacing the nearly useless 4 sp H42 . ..it must sound odd to others that I'm so thrilled to able to travel @ 65 mph! But . ..it true...I'm really pleased. The other nice thing is the 1st gear is (H55F has 4.85 first, H42 has a 3.5 first gear ratio). Where I live in Los Angeles there is a street called Fargo. . .It is arguably the steepest paved residential road in USA. The H42 trans would NOT take that incline without putting in 4x4 low range.
hallelujah

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks