Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gull wings and rework

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Well the time has come and funds allow to get some rust attended to in the boot spac/arches. Unfortunately this meant removing all of my custom galley, electrics and plumbing. The positive means that it's an ideal time to install my gullwings.

I've just ordered these from Australia via The Crusier Company. £560 for a pair shipped plus duty and tax on arrival. About 6weeks wait.

Screenshot_20211109-082231_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

I spoke with Oliver at the company, very helpful and progressed the sale.

I will do a wite up of the install and feedback on quality, fit etc.

I plan to use 1 side as a services access and quick access to some equipment. The other side will be to allow quick access to the cargo area without opening all the swing arms.

My wings were dispatched last week so now looking like after Christmas now to receive them. Whilst I wait I've been shopping to source the kit for the new boot build.
  • Old build removed and broken down. Recovered all working parts
  • Upgraded my water tank from 30l to the front runner slanted tank at 50l.
  • Bought 1st of 2 stoves, coleman dual fuel, 2nd hand.
  • Victron 800w inverter
  • New switches, busbars and other shiney stuff I won't see much of.
Before
CollageMaker_20210526_092424049.jpg

After.

The plan is to switch the fridge and kitchen over, loose a set of slides to increase usable space, having the stove on top and the drawer underneath with a coffee table top to the drawer to act as a prep area.
Keeping the pressurised filtered water system, on board air and for now AGM battery.

Sort if like this

Screenshot_20211220-202640_Samsung Notes.jpg

Nothing but issues with delivery companies. All my pre Xmas deliveries bar one failed to turn up, DHL and Hermes.

Been passing the time designing my systems, first up the water system.

Continuing on fro the previous build, twin stage filtration with pump to collect and deliver. All collection via filtration so only clean water goes to the tank. Will also allow for filtered recirculation and possible UV in the future. New addition is the on demand hot water system and twin cold water outlets. Outlets are QR koolance as I have currently.
Hot water outlet will have a restriction value to alter flow to the outlet point (tbc).

Screenshot_20211227-200919_Samsung Notes.jpg

Had a few hours yesterday and today, plus the postman finally delivered, to do a bit more of the rework.

Drawers and main carcass structure finished painted and trimmed. Still needs the main top and cutting into the rear window apertures, if the gull wings ever arrive. There will be a small side drawer to the left and infill panels. Both sides.
20220109_145614.jpg

Coffee table worktop installed.
20220109_145954.jpg

Stove mounted
20220109_145538.jpg

Main plumbing components installed
20220109_145635.jpg

20220109_145643.jpg

Electrical install started.
20220109_145058.jpg

Whilst the body work and windscreen are sorted out over the next few days, i'll continue with some of the electics and a bit more painting.

Looking good there fella.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don cha juz ate talented people that is looking bespoke HMG you want a day job as a maker of dream storage solutions

Victim of your own success because not much anyone can say about a faultless plan well executed :handgestures-thumb:

Always one !! Great work, my question always is when I see the stove and the fridge on slides is why wouldn't you have the stove facing the other direction, so you can be happy cooking away and the Fridge can be fully out at the same time to get at stuff.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the gullwings, I was looking at the same using maybe the Deltavs modular system on one side and the CEILING STORAGE RACK, then that one side would have been for quick reach items via the gullwing.

Always one !! Great work, my question always is when I see the stove and the fridge on slides is why wouldn't you have the stove facing the other direction, so you can be happy cooking away and the Fridge can be fully out at the same time
No room to work from the other side as the swing arm creates a barrier. Did offer it up to cook face on but was more awkward for anything other than a quick brew.

There is lots of room (workspace) when fully extended and my fridge front opens rather than side, so I can take items out and put them straight onto the worktop. I've also built in storage around the stove whilst maintaining airflow, for frequently used items.

I did look at fabrication of a fold out table from the LHS gull wing to use that area as the kitchen but needed the access more.

Finally the news I've been waiting for. After a month of my gull wings being sat at an airport waiting for a flight to the UK, I got the notification they have been loaded and left from down under. Whilst I was waiting I had my windscreen removed and the rust cut out or attened to, and new metal welded in then painted. The body shop suggested welding up the rivet holes for the side trims and using an adhesive to hold these back on to prevent any future ingress. Made sense other than screen replacement could be an arse. I do have the genuine toyota rivets but the previous owner had replaced with screws and the holes needed sorting. Might be a sod to do after the event but I could always refit the rivets if needed.

Also had some rust cut out and new metal put in place on the rear arches. This has then been treated and covered with a rubberised product which is hard wearing (can't remember what it's called will ask again when I collect).

Got a small leak on the auto box sump so I've ordered the proper sealant and will have a look at that. Though it looks like I will be drilling out at least one shared of bolt:rage:

Plan now is to get the wings in. Finalise the wing box section and main top pieces, so I can knock them up and move onto the second half of the plumbing and wiring work.

THEY ARRIVED. After paying the duties and fees the wings arrived today. A few minor transport marks but a couple of minor poor manufacturing defects, corners on cut outs look drilled and are unfinished. No instructions (available on line) or merch included, just a big box of parts.

20220131_164125.jpg

20220131_164145.jpg

Attachments

• 20220131_164130.jpg
    20220131_164130.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 31
Turns out they bloody sent me parts for 2 left sided struts not a pair, so I can only do one side and its the least important one. Hopefully they will reimburse local fabrication costs rather than wait x weeks for new parts to be shipped and the customs argument on replacement parts.

Bloody roll on its service like that that makes us whinging pommes hope you get some luck with this think they had better send you a generous care package

So now one wing is in and I have the long wait for the off side. I've worked out a use for the space where the old vhs player sat, it now houses my little ARB compressor. Not sure for how long it will stay there, but seems a good use of space. I have ordered some sound deadening material to help dampen the noise and its mounted with some vibration dampers.

Its likely i will remove the quick release and hard plumb a main line with a QR or 2 at the point of use.
20220210_152848.jpg

A slow week with sport and work commitments. Did a few little jobs and assembled the front facing panel for my electrics and water systems. This will sit at an angle to the driver side gullwing bottom. Obviously not finished but mostly done. I've been practicing heating and bending some ABS plastic (matches the rear panel) to make a cover for the relay block wires, it's a bit tricker than I hoped.
Also started to plan out the inner storage box to site behind the drivers side gull wing. Difficult enough in cardboard let alone in ply.
The replacement wings are still in Australia thanks to reduced flights, fully expect another 2-3 weeks on them. So can't fit this panel yet or connect the bulk of the wires/hoses etc.
20220220_153730.jpg

Great looking layout, what are you driving with all those relays?

Back