Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

GX 1999 starting problem

Colin teare

Country Flag
england
Can anyone help me with a starting problem?
Toyota Land cruiser gx 1999.

Saying Hi would be good too Colin, we’re a friendly bunch. We don’t bite. :)

Hi guys and girls,
Thanks for the fast response, l bought myself a 1999 land cruiser to tow a mini digger around in August this year, it is a great work horse.
Of late is is clicking when l try to start it it is a single click and sounds like the solenoid.
I took the battery terminals off yesterday and cleaned them and it started several times but did click once and then start. It seems intermittent. Leave it try again and it goes.
I hope this helps.
Regards
Colin

Sounds like the starter motor contacts.

I had similar a couple of year back and replaced the contacts and plunger (available as a kit from Toyota IIRC) - all good since.

P.S. Welcome :thumbup:

Welcome Colin, :text-+1: on the starter motor contacts. They are very easy to change. There is an uprated kit available. Talk to Mike at Robson and Francis, (0207 733 2353) he will be able to get them for you or there may even be some on eBay. Change the plunger while you’re in there and PUT STUDLOCK ON THE COVER SCREWS else they work loose, the cover falls off and the resultant exit of parts tries to set fire to your truck. Ask me how I know. :o

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Many thanks guys,
I will get on the case tomorrow, where can l get a wheel cover for the spare.
Love this site.
Many thanks
Colin

Hi star cruiser
How do you know what happens? When you dont lock tight the bolts?

Kind regards

Colin

Hi star cruiser
How do you know what happens? When you dont lock tight the bolts?

Kind regards

Colin
‘Cos I didn’t loctite mine. A crackle on the radio and a whisp of smoke from under the bonnet revealed a flame from the glowing spring round the solenoid plunger (now exposed as the back had come off) that was licking at the wiring loom above. This me running to get my 10mm spanner from the back of the truck and I disconnected both batteries in I reckon 40 seconds. I’ve never moved so fast or been so glad I carried a fire extinguisher.

Have a look on Roughtrax for a spare wheel cover. They might have them.

Back